Bad to Connect USB to VESC While Charging Battery?

s28400

100 W
Hey guys, I've been playing around with some things on my build and noticed some strange things going on while charging. When I connected the charger, the anti-spark switch turned on partially allowing the VESC lights to come on. I eventually realized that this was being caused by having both the charger and the USB connector on the VESC plugged in simultaneously. I'm guessing it is some kind of grounding issues but I am unsure.
Have any of you guys experienced this? Is this bad for the anti-spark switch?

Cheers,
Josh

Guys have smoked the USB ports on their computers doing that. If you have a laptop, the USB port should be isolated more or less.

Yeah, I am using a laptop but it was also charging. I think my laptop has protected USB ports but I have heard of people frying them when a backflow like this occurs. Do you know why the anti-spark would turn on partially? Also my anti-spark sometimes stays on even when the switch is in the off position. Any idea why that would happen?
Cheers!

That's a strange one. Only thing I can think of is high frequency RF stuff is getting into the circuit and activating the gate.

Back