Phase and Hall conectors

dventu

100 W
I've been looking through the forums for a bit and been thinking on changing my connectors to something higher grade.
I've seen people use gold bullet connectors for phase wires but nothing special for halls.

Recently I noticed if I get any pressure on my Hall plug my motor grunts. Lol
I know these white connectors really suck. Any ideas.

PS. What about for battery to controller plugs (3 wire so main positive then negative then ignition hot wire.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I've been using an MT60 for the motor phase and then a 5s jst on the hall connectors they are under 1 amp i think so don't need anything big, It allows me to get the wires and connectors through a 20mm cable gland, I've put 16s 56 amp on the mt60 and it didn't get hot but if I was to add more power the mt60 would have to go for a EC5 3pin.
On my scooter the motor wire was over one meter long to the front of the frame like a snake so I drilled a 20mm hole at the rear of the frame so my wire is only 20cm long now it's made a big difference the 12awg would have melted at 3..8kw if I didn't shorten it, or i would have had to beef it up a size.

Totally agree that there is a lack of decent hall (small) connectors for the ebike industry (or they are hard to find). In the past I toyed with the idea of usb connections (though you only get four connections) and rj45, but both are still not round and therefore not optimal. I have a plastic printer that I bought ahead of Christmas to help me with some projects (not built yet). I love to make a circular hall connector to help clean up the builds.

Bullets for phase power here.

Hall sensors? I use Futaba/JR servo connectors. I like them because I already have a crimp tool and they'll fit through most hub motor axle hardware. They don't lock per se but that can be solved if it becomes a problem. I've outfitted more than a dozen hub motors with 2qty servo connectors for hall Sensors. With a total of 6 contacts there's also an extra pin available for temp sensor signal if desired.

so getting back to plastic printing one. I would need to work around existing metal contacts as I cant fabricate those easily but.

here is my first go on inventor 360

5 pin connector v1.png

If you could print 3 large bullet's in with 5 small ones and make a connector that does all on the one I think that would be unique and have demand.

You could adjust the offsets or print a groove so it only connects the correct way.

I wonder what is the breakdown voltage on 3d printed plastic is compared to injection moulded etc.

I thought about it but it did cross my mind that phases can get hot and I don't want that kind of liability. there is a nice mt60 3way which is cheap anyway so why bother. its the halls wires that are rarely catered well for. Anyway got to build the printer first.

U could use a 5pin din to compact the hall wiring a bit, I would like to do a 3d printer one day or a digital lathe, With the logic control being so cheap its opening the field up to many.

I like where this is going. I myself have been looking for a connector that can handle all wires going to the motor. Perhaps a more flat design would be better? Also, could there be interference on the hall wires from the large currents in the phase leads being that close?

Cheers!

did a bit more work on my earlier design and added threaded endcaps to keep out the water. found some 0.8 bullets on hobbyking hxt but they are out of stock and maybe discontinued but would have been perfect for this. Once ive built my printer I might try printing this just to see how it would come out.

5 pin connector v5.png

Nice design and thanks for the inputs.

Is this what your intention is but smaller and compact.
60fed28c51db7d85e249eebaafd260c2.jpg

Yep but symmetric except for a notch to ensure wires connect correctly. Also I finished my printer build yesterday so should be able to print one soon

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

The hall signal is 5V at VERY low amps, all you need is something that makes a solid connection. A while back, one of the options mentioned is to buy an extender cable (a few inches of cable, plus a male connector at one end and a female at the other) cut it in the middle, and you have a connector pair.

Here is a micro-B USB connector set (first recommended by kingfish/Alan), just an option...

rr-mcb-ext-xxg.jpg

That is a nice solution, just didn't think there were 5 wires in a usb cable I thought only 4? well you live and learn. Also I like the mass produced nature of these. Plus there are flat usb cables which could help with space saving when using braided cable that Doc bass once showed to increase current capacity of the phase wires through hub motor axles. Will do some more searching. Thanks Spinning Magnets/Kingfish

Back