First e-skateboard build

PXSS

1 µW
Hey guys,
I've been lurking here for a while and decided it was finally time to open an account as I need some input for my first e-skate build.
A little about myself, I'm an aerospace engineer that designs builds and tests unmanned aircraft specifically in charge of the propulsion design of our battery powered aircraft.
My job is the reason I actually found these forums as I was doing a lot of research on how to design battery packs and these forums came up again and again lol.

On to my first build!
My girlfriend has been going on about electric skateboards for a while, but the cost of them has kept her from buying one, while I've been really itching to build my own electric bike.
I figured that with my background and some aid from you, I could probably get this project knocked out in a few weeks, just in time for christmas.

Here's what I got so far:
I will be designing, and welding a custom 40 cell battery pack.
I initially wanted to do a 4S10P pack as lower voltages are generally safer to work with and a maximum amp draw of 100A using Sanyo GA cell.
Doing a little more research, I see a lot of people running 10S4P configuration which is making me lean more towards using LG HG2 cells as these would have an 80A max amp draw vs a 40A max amp draw with the GA cells.
My first question is why are people running such high voltages? Do higher kv motors not provide enough torque for the application?

Next question is about BMS's, we don't use any, we monitor our battery health real time and use balancing chargers on our aircraft so I am at a loss here.
Is there anything readily available somewhat cheap? I do not want to buy a complete battery pack from enertion or similar company as I feel that their batteries are extremely overpriced.
The cells used inside Enertions SPACE cells are worth $160, I cannot believe they pack $300 worth of electronics in there that I cannot do myself for cheaper. (No offense to them).
I could design and build my own but I feel that this would be unrealistic for my time frame.

Next is the Motor,
I was thinking of using the Turnigy SK3 - 6364-213kv motor just because of the price but I have not looked much into this.
Any suggestions on motors for my suggested 4S10P pack above?

I will be using a VESC from the Ollin Board Company. I was initially thinking of using one from Enertion, but I've read a few negative threads so I rather not deal with that.

Anything mechanical, I will be making myself, same thing with the actual board, might buy a set of trucks from a reputable skating company but that is all!

I look forward to learning a lot from you guys and please, any and all comments are welcome!
Thanks,

-PS

Nice to see more engineers coming into this hobby.

for a single drive esk8 with 10s4p you can take your pick of cells. samsung 25p are popular. I like hg2 for the extra capacity.
A vesc can safely handle 50A battery current, I use cheap lipo with lower settings and still get great performance.

High voltage is mainly used because of the relatively low current limits of the vesc.
The vesc also has some issue with switching about 60k erpm so at 10s you want to stay below 200kv.

I current have 2 board, neither have a bms. i just use rc style balance chargers mainly for cost as student.
But many use besttech bms 50A-80A with soft power switch makes things look very clean.

for motors, i started with 6374 149kv sk3 on 12s and it worked great for a few months. then it failed. replaced with identical motor. samething a month later :cry:
You can see how on the end of my post here
http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/so-many-spare-parts-new-and-used/14168

I've been using motors a bit more esk8 specifc, you can find alot more info on that forum.
it is enertion's and yes he over prices his rebranded parts from china but its very active.

for trucks, caliber 2 50 or 44 are the most popular because the square hanger makes mounting easy and solid.
But since you're an engineer i'd imagine you have access to nice tools, if you can work up a solution for cast ronin you'd be a hero.
I've been messing with my own designs but i mostly studied CS and don't have access to a cnc(or any real tools :| )
http://www.ronintrucks.com/shop-2/complete-sets/#!/Cast-Ronin-Trucks/p/20199272/category=1667187

for reference my current everyday board is:
vesc
8s 10ah lipo
single 6354 190kv
mini rc remote
jet spud 29"
14/36 gearing
97mm flywheel clones

I get 22mph top speed and about 10-14 miles. But i can go up almost any hill.
re-gearing to 16/36 will get me 26+.

my first attempt is below. need to update!

Back