Throttle Problem 1-4v hall to PWM

Keith_hill

10 mW
Hi All,

I was hoping that someone could shed some light on to a problem I'm having with my throttle.

My throttle set up is this:

Throttle: http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/electric-throttle/electric-thumb-throttle-1-4v-hall-effect/
PWM Chip: http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/rc-ev-accessories/electronics/alien-throttle-interface-1-4v/

ESC is: http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/esc/alien-120a-3-12s-jet-esc-hv/

The problem is 100% of the power is applied at about 50% of the available thumb throttle travel, this means that it is difficult to modulate - this can be seen in the video I posted of my build. So when riding it, after 50% of the throttle is applied the scooter seems to be going as fast as it can and the rest of the throttle travel is just dead.

I checked tonight that the hall effect throttle is indeed a 1-4v output (thought that it could be a 0-5v by mistake) but the multimeter confirmed the spec.
Would this happen if the PWM chip was actually the 0-5v version by mistake?

Has anyone encountered anything like this?

- Keith

I am concerned by your ESC actually ("jet ESC" ?) I see "THROTTLE CURVER: Logarithmical、linear、Exponential", which setting do u use for this parameter ?

Hi, I am currently using 'Linear', however I have tried using 'Logarithmic' but I still only had 50% of the thumb throttle travel available.
The firmware for the ESC is actually called 'CAR 12S'.

Do you know what these settings are for:

FORWARD POINT:Auto、fixed 1.0mS、fixed 1.1mS、fixed 1.2mS、fixed 1.3mS、fixed 1.4mS, fixed 1.5mS

Regards

Keith

I believe "linear" is better than "logarithmic" with respect to ur issue, I think it-s risky to try "exponential" but who knowes...
this "forward point" adjustment makes me think about the minimum speed when your throttle just leave its neutral range.
Maybe better ask directly alien power about ur issue, about a potential PWM chip mix

Yes, Linear is far easier to ride.
I have asked Alien Power Systems about the issue but Bruno apparently can't help me - a little frustrating!
Thanks for your help, I wonder if there is a problem with the ESC not being able to identify the range of the input because it is hard-wired? usually you cycle the stick of a remote control to allow the ESC to see the range of signal (I think I'm right??)

I'll keep researching.

I've come to the conclusion that the interface chip isn't working correctly. Seemingly is uses 2v as 100% output. The throttle outputs 1-4v correctly and the ESC works correctly when connected to a RC car receiver.

I have told alien power systems that's where the problem is - let's see what they say!

Perhaps this is an opportunity for my to practice my arduino skills??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My background is mechanical engineering. This project is to broaden my electrical knowledge (motor sizing and control etc) I have an arduino to play with so I'll get to it! Should be simple as you say - however I'll be learning as I go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I mentioned in my main scooter build - I have solved my throttle interface problem.

Here is the thing I have ended up with, it is Arduino nano based and has a rotary POT which is set to alter the maximum servo angle PWM output. it is really useful when letting someone have a go and slowly build up the 'power' level. I also find that I set it to 50% for using the scooter on pavement around people etc..

I have also set a 30ms count up for throttle output vs. throttle demand. It helps with the initial power take-up as the ESC is simply requesting the motor to hit a requested speed with 100% current. (fine for an RC car but a bit chaotic when stood on the blood thing!)

I'm going to shrink it down when I manage to get a digispark to correctly handle servo output. the whole thing will be about half the size.

throttle_interface.jpg

Back