HELP!! Fireworks Show altered fantom upgrade

joeA

10 mW
So I recently bought the enertion motor mount with a bunch of other mechanical and electrical parts i bought following this tutorial:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-Skateboard-V40-the-Banana-Board/step2/Materials/

The whole thing was a mess!!! The motor mount did not work very well with my mechanical setup:
- There was also too much slack on the belt
- The trucks shaft wasnt long enough so there was friction on the wheel.
- The motor wasnt really screwed onto the motor mount in a secure way and i had to drill new holes just to get it to screw on.. but it STILL wasnt even that secure.

I knew id be commuting to school and the thing would fall apart sooner or later mid-trip.

So i figured I'd scrap the whole thing, take the loss on the lithium ions, ESC, motor and the 3D printed pulleys and 9mm belt i had bought and either buy a hub motor to use with my ESC and batteries or buy the new ACTION BLINK S on INDIEGOGO (I know, I know, a cardinal sin for many on this forum)

I had an Altered children's toy electric skateboard laying around that recently stopped working.

When it was working i was reluctant to take it apart because it was pretty much the only electric skateboard I had that ACTUALLY WORKED.

It was heavy with lead acid batteries... had a low weight limit... and only went 10mph... BUT IT WAS GREAT FOR GOING TO THE STORE TO GET GROCERIES!!!

After a while it stopped working... it wouldnt hold a charge.. it wouldnt move when it was fully charged... it had lost a lot of its torque over the few months ive owned and abused it... so i figured i had nothing to lose but to take it apart... the motor mount had one of those convenient cases around it that protect the pulley and what not from gravel, rain, etc... and i managed to completely remove the existing motor and mount my TURNIGY In its place...

Much to my amazement the TURNIGY motor fits perfectly, and the shaft is lined up exactly where the previous childrens toy motor was.

I'm using the same wheel pulley and belt from the childrens toy, so all i need is the exact same motor pulley to put on my motor

The motor pulley from the childrens toy is impossible to remove from the childrens toy motor as its sort of welded on as i guess they never thought anyone would ever modify it

the childrens toy used a 12 mm timing belt... and the pulleys have a lot more teeth than the 3d printed pulleys and corresponding belt i bought for my custom one that im not taking a loss on... and the motor pulley from the childrens toy is the perfect size and pitch... but it is not going to fit on my TURNIGY shaft... so basically i need to buy a new MOTOR PULLEY... with the same diameter and pitch......

The Children's toy motor pulley has 19 teeth and is about 12 mm in diameter and fits a 15mm belt.
Is this some kind of standard size? What do i need to buy as a Motor pulley to replace this...
I pretty much know nothing about pulleys and the ratio of diameter to amount of teeth...

heres pictures of the motor pulley and basically everything else.

The RED board is the new chassis from the children's toy, and the GREEN wheels next to the ENERTION motor mount are my old mechanical parts i'll no longer be using.

I am having issues with the battery cables.... every time i plug anything i get a fireworks show... here is a link to the diagram i am using from an instructables tutorial

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=203380

Wiring the electronics is turning out to be seriously problematic as any time i try to plug anything in i get a fireworks show...

There is no mention of the T plug for charging anywhere in the tutorial... but it is in the diagram posted above... is this related to a SERIES ADAPTER... if so he does not mention a series adapter anywhere in the tutorial and is not answering questions in the comments for a couple of months now...

the guy that made the tutorial posted in the comments that the balance adapter is backwards in the diagram and needs the ports swapped...

also does not mention in the tutorial how to charge the batteries (through the balance port?? or the T plug that he gives no mention of on how to set up????)

Honestly... i feel like im never going to have an electric skateboard at this point... the creator of this tutorial has probably causes a couple of peoples houses to burn down...

Attachments

• Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.43 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.43 PM.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 538
  • Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.42 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.42 PM #2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 538
  • Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.42 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.42 PM.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 538
  • Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.43 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.43 PM #2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.41 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.41 PM.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 538
  • Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.39 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 12-9-16 at 2.39 PM #2.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 538
neat, would be good to use as many parts from the stock as you can, keep it simple and cheap. Few things:

Have you tried getting the pulley off a shaft with a pulley puller? These are basically 3 arms on a nut, screw a bolt through to push out the axle. If it can be removed, this would be the way.

Did you drill the mount holes for the turnigy yourself or did it fit to the old pattern? If you drilled them you will probably need a method to adjust the tension of the belt, they are much more touchy than chains, especially at this size.

Looks like the pulley from the motor is a typical gates HTD/GT profile, you can get the pulleys and CAD models here:
https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog?cid=p346&filter=a0%3A2%3A2%20mm%20(GT2) I would expect it to be the 3mm pitch, but if it's 19 teeth and about 12mm diameter, that more fits with the 2mm. You can print the CAD profile and check fit to each, or look up the belt length for that number of teeth and compare it to what you have there. That is assuming there isn't anything printed on the belt/pulley itself... HTD and GT pulleys/belts are fully compatible both ways if the pitch and width is the same.

Be sure to work out gear ratio, voltage, wheel size and motor kv to get the expected speed before fully committing and buying all the gear, or you may end up with a terribly worked setup (way too fast/slow).

Thanks for the reply!

yes i have gotten the pulley off the previous motor... the only way to do it was to SAWZALL the shaft off of the motor... so i have the pully but theres a shaft going through it... its all one piece welded together... i tried using one of those pulley removers that have claws that clamp around the end and use a screw to push the shaft through but it just broke a piece off the base plate of the pulley that the tool was grabbing onto... so i basically started to drill a hole right through the pulley but my drill bits basically wore down.. so ill probably just buy the same pulley i have posted pictures of the hole i drilled in the pulley and you can see part of the shaft sticking out on the end...the shaft is basically one piece with the pulley... i have also posted pictures of the tool i used...

the beauty of this project is im using the same wheel pulley and belt from the ALTERED FANTOM board and the motor shaft for my turnigy lines up perfectly with the previous motor... so as long as i get same same motor pulley (or find a way to reuse it) the belt tensioning and gear ratio and that stuff... IS ALREADY DONE FOR ME!... yes i did drill new mounting holes but it doesnt effect anything... ironically works way better than the enertion motor mount... and the motor actually lines up perfectly where the previous motor was... also the mechanical parts for the Altered fantom toy board use a 15mm belt... which was better than the 9mm belt and pulleys i got for my crumby custom board with the enertion mount... 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen:

actually the motor pulley is roughly 17mm in diameter... and 19 teeth.... and i need a 6mm diameter hole for my turnigy motor... is that what these online stores refer to as a bore hole or is that something else?

thanks! for the link to the pulley cad files and such... i really need to know what to buy!!!

Attachments

• Photo on 12-10-16 at 11.59 AM.jpg
    Photo on 12-10-16 at 11.59 AM.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 536
  • Photo on 12-10-16 at 11.59 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 12-10-16 at 11.59 AM #2.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 536
  • Photo on 12-10-16 at 12.02 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-10-16 at 12.02 PM.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 536
joeA said:
the beauty of this project is im using the same wheel pulley and belt from the ALTERED FANTOM board and the motor shaft for my turnigy lines up perfectly with the previous motor... so as long as i get same same motor pulley (or find a way to reuse it) the belt tensioning and gear ratio and that stuff... IS ALREADY DONE FOR ME!...

thanks! for the link to the pulley cad files and such... i really need to know what to buy!!!

Sure it's already done, but if you change the voltage and motor, then it will change the speed the board goes. You might need more/less reduction than the stock brushed motor used. If you match the output speed though you will be good to go.

If it's 17mm, then yeah it is most likely the standard 3mm pitch htd pulley. Did you say you have enertion or some other new belt/pulley? If they are the 3htd9 belts (or pulley) then they should all mesh nicely with each other.

This is the pulley you will probably need, but for a 15mm belt not 9mm. It's a 6mm bore (axle size) and 17.4 diameter over the teeth. This one has 2 flanges instead of one (as in your picture) and what appears to be a larger hub. http://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/product/?id=A_6A23M019DF0906 Again, this is 99% sure, but without physically seeing the gear it's impossible to say. But if the 9mm enetrion set is 3mm and mesh properly, then its 3mm pitch you want.

i bought the pulleys as a set, the wheel pulley, motor pulley and belt from the site you linked to... however... they are 3 mm pitch and for a 9mm belt... I only got the motor mount from enertion and basically the whole thing was a big mess so i decided to scrap it... that is the setup with the green wheels with the 3d printed wheel pulley and the 9mm belt laying next to it...

so no the pulleys i bought are not from enertion and wont work with the altered fantom childrens toy motor mount... the belt is also too long and since theres no elongated holes in the motor mount to tension the belt... its probably not the way to go... and it would do more harm than good to drill new holes...

basically yes the motor pulley i need is indeed 17mm "outer diameter" with 19 teeth... and for 15mm wide belt... 6mm bore hole... THIS IS WHAT I NEED TO REUSE THE BELT AND WHEEL PULLEY FROM THE "ALTERED FANTOM" AND I HAVE MY TURNIGY MOTOR LINED UP PERFECTLY WHERE THE TOY MOTOR WAS SO THAT THE BELT TENSION WOULD BE PERFECT WITH THIS PULLEY... just to clarify everything...

THE BIGGEST ISSUE IM HAVING IS THE PULLEY SHAPE... HOW DOES ONE TELL THE SHAPE... THE TEETH LOOK LIKE HEXAGONS OR EVEN SQUARES BUT THE BELT TEETH LOOK VERY ROUND SO THAT LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THOSE ARENT HEXAGOGONS ON THE PULLEY BUT JUST ROUND THINGS .. ITS REALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO EVEN TELL THESE THINGS LOL... AND I THINK AS ALONG AS THE TEETH LINE UP IT SHOULD WORK...

YOU SEEM TO BE SOLD ON HTD/GT COULD YOU ELABORATE?

also what do you mean by flanges and hub?

thanks

all that i can say about your concern with the voltage... is that my motor seems to be more powerful than the toy motor... which ran off lead acid batteries and had a top speed of 10 mph... i would highly doubt that this toy motor is actually stronger than my motor but the gear ratio made it go slower than most custom eboards.... this is based on the fact that the weight limit was 110 lbs... so if my motor can carry heavier people i would doubt it would go slower with the same gear ratio but rather FASTER!! hopefully... if not frock it im gettin a blink board on ebay...lmao...

Back