FIREWORKS SHOW AND ELECTRONICS DISASTER NEED HELP!!!

joeA

10 mW
So I recently bought the enertion motor mount with a bunch of other mechanical and electrical parts i bought following this tutorial:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electric-Skateboard-v20/

I am having issues with the battery cables.... every time i plug anything i get a fireworks show... here is a link to the diagram i am using from an instructables tutorial

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=203380

Wiring the electronics is turning out to be seriously problematic as any time i try to plug anything in i get a fireworks show...

1. There is no mention of the T plug for charging anywhere in the tutorial... but it is in the diagram posted above... is this related to a SERIES ADAPTER... if so he does not mention a series adapter anywhere in the tutorial and is not answering questions in the comments for a couple of months now... how is someone supposed to hook up the t plug that bypasses the ESC for charging... is this even where he is saying to charge the batteries or is that what the balance adapter is for? ALSO HOW DO YOU EVEN CONNECT AN IMAX TO A T-PLUG CONNECTOR WOULD I BETTER OFF USING A DIFFERNT CONNECTOR THAT COMES WITH THE IMAX???

2. the guy that made the tutorial posted in the comments that "The diagram is wrong. The balanace ports are flipped." i think i get this... the balance ports need to be switched from their respective batteries... no big deal... but if i'm wrong on that please correct me...

3. also does not mention in the tutorial how to charge the batteries (through the balance port?? or the T plug that he gives no mention of on how to set up????) i've heard that youre supposed to cut one of the red wires on on the balance adapter that is connected to the negative battery... he does not say to do this in the tutorial...

4. he says to buy banana jacks in the materials list and theres no further mention of how to use them...

ive come to realize that wire connectors are serious business so this guy has a lot of nerve to just say to buy banana plugs then have T plugs being in the diagram without any mention of them in the tutorial... never mentioning using a series adapter or 10 guage wire to bypass the ESC for charging (which is part of my question because he never indicates where the thing shoul be charged and what the whole point of including a balance adapter on the setup even is)

Im a total newb with knowledge about the mechanical stuff but pretty much no knowledge or experience on electrical stuff except what components are needed.. the difference between 6s and 8s... series vs parallel... etc... I dont know much about connectors except that one can solder differnt ones onto wires... also...

Honestly... i feel like im never going to have an electric skateboard at this point... the creator of this tutorial has probably caused a couple of peoples houses to burn down... and is no longer responding to questions in the comments... he tauted that hed be selling this bluetooth smartphone reciever on his website and you go to the website and it wouldnt even be up for sale or would be sold out for years at a time... basically one problem after another and very unprofessional... im just hoping to get through this and not take the loss on $400 of parts

ALSO HERES A LINK TO A DETAILED YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE ELECTRONICS SETUP... THIS HELPED A LOT BUT I THINK HES BEIN A BIT OF A SNOB ABOUT THE BATTERY CURCUIT... IS THERE ANY WAY THAT THIS CAN BE SIMPLIFIED?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkj5jVmRqUs

1. For your charger question: I'm pretty sure that all the little connector dongles on the iMax end up with a t-connector so you could just cut one of those off and solder it into your system like the diagram shows.

2. The diagram is indeed wrong. You are trying to put the batteries in series which means their voltages will add up.

The diagram shows the upper battery getting added to the lower battery to make 22.2V. Basically if we consider the black wire on the lower battery to be 0V, then its red wire will be 11.1V, and the red wire on the upper battery will add another 11.1V so the total voltage will be 11.1+11.1=22.2V.

However, the balance port has the batteries reversed, with the lower battery being added to the upper battery. If you look at the diagram closely, you'll see that the main power wires (on the right of the batteries) have the red from the lower and the black from the upper batteries connected whereas on the balance port the red from the upper connects to the black from the lower. This is why you need to switch which balance port the batteries plug into - so that they add to each other in the correct order.

If the balance port connections are swapped then you will be shorting the batteries when you try to plug them in which is giving you the "fireworks show."

3. Read your charger instructions. You have to connect both the balance ports and the t-connector.

4. The banana jacks are for making the wiring harness that plugs into the batteries and goes to your ESC.

Hope I could help a bit.

thanks for the reply...

i was thinking...

the diagram has the two soldered wires byassing the ESC and going to a T CONNECTOR for charging.... BUT...

would it be possible to... INSTEAD

attach banana jacks onto to those two wires bypassing the ESC and plug the banana jacks directly into the imax B6...

as it stands theres two banana jacks that plug into the IMAX B6 that go to an orange XT60 connector... which then would go to the T connector... or whatevr one choses to plug into the battery curcuit...

joeA said:
thanks for the reply...

i was thinking...

the diagram has the two soldered wires byassing the ESC and going to a T CONNECTOR for charging.... BUT...

would it be possible to... INSTEAD

attach banana jacks onto to those two wires bypassing the ESC and plug the banana jacks directly into the imax B6...

as it stands theres two banana jacks that plug into the IMAX B6 that go to an orange XT60 connector... which then would go to the T connector... or whatevr one choses to plug into the battery curcuit...

yeah that could work

Back