My experience buying from DIY, APS and ADS

We-Me

10 mW
I started this thread as a DIY complaint but wrote a little more about other experiences I've had. I hope it helps you guys.
I purchased TorqueBoards 12S 120A Car ESC OPTO HV for a single motor setup and have not yet been able to get it working properly. I am on the second ESC. The first one was faulty and it was known to have a firmware issue when it was shipped so that was a frustrating waste of time. Dexter finally shipped a replacement ESC but it was not easy. Anyway I have problems with the second ESC. I am using Alien Power System 6355 motor with it and it just wasnt working correctly. I have built 3 other boards so I do know a little. So I shot a short video of the problem and emailed it to both Bruno and Dexter since Bruno sold me the motor and Dexter the ESC and I wasnt sure which end was faulty, the motor or the ESC. Bruno replied right away with this:

"that kind of esc give that problem. look like can work on 8s fine. as soon you go over 8s it start to not be able to handle the power. try to change settings and see if improve. if not you need to contact the seller and ask for a firmware update. you have this problem just if you throttle rapidly. if you throttle gradually there is no issue"

I have not heard back from Dexter yet. I think he may be moving or something which is understandable. So I went ahead and hooked up a different motor and got the exact same whining problem at high speed. So I can eliminate the APS motors since the second motor works fin,e with my APS ESC.

The first video is with the new APS 6355 motor and the second video is with my old board that works fine. That board has held up for over 1000 miles as you can probably see from the condition.

I wrote the above a couple of weeks ago and didn't post it hoping DIY would come around but no go. Not a peep from Dexter. I've emailed him 3 or 4 times. I am beyond frustrated and considering opening a better business bureau case.

I hate being a crybaby about this stuff on a forum that I have learned so much from. I must admit that I learned allot from Dexter. He has always been helpful in responding on the forum. Seems like when money(returns or exchanges or problems with purchased items) gets into the mix he is suddenly not all that friendly.

So as a hardcore electric skateboard rider I have to report the following opinions based on my 20 years of involvement (starting with the original X-24)-

DIY- great info. His stuff hasn't been up to my standards. I've purchased items that he knew were either unreliable(his little mini remote) and ESC that was shipped even though he knew it needed a firmware update (torque boards ESC, and then another ESC that I detailed above which totally sucked and still does because it's just sitting there in the board waiting for that effing guy to help me or return it.

Alien Power System(APS)- I have had great quality with the ESC's, in fact amazingly reliable. The motors have worked but seem to develop issues over time. I've purchased about 3k from Bruno. He has very good after-sale support. One order was missing a bunch of stuff and he thought he sent it and I felt like he thought I was bullshitting him at first but then sent it. That order took at least 6 weeks to be complete, counting a vacation he took. But the other orders shipped pretty quick. APS gets 4 out of 5 stars overall.

Alien Drive Systems(ADS)- the best quality and service. Too bad he doesn't sell the stuff himself anymore. But you can buy it from APS without the great support and knowledge that ADS has.

That's my experience as honest as possible.

Thank you everyone that has posted helpful info on here and on endless sphere.

An operator will be right with you! Feel free to hide this box and navigate around the site.

Dexter has joined the chat!

Dexter
How can I help you?

j preusser
Dexter, the 12s ESC I bought from you still isnt working properly or maybe I am doing something wrong. I bought a BEC for it like you suggested to run the receiver. And it just wont respond. The signal wire on the ESC reads 8 volts and it burned up the fllysky receiver.

Dexter
Was it initially the SBEC unit?

j preusser
Huh? it is the 12s torque boards esc

Dexter
How many 3wire does it have sticking out of the unit?

j preusser
3 And of course the 3 motor wires
You advised that i get a ubec and I purchased a high voltage ubec from aps.
and also the extra receiver you sold me will not pair with my flysky transmitter. Maybe I am doing something wrong with it because the instructions are horrible and it does not work with the instructions from the flysky unit even though it looks like a knock off of that system.

Dexter
Is it one 3 wire for the signal wire or 2x signal wire.

j preusser
it only has 1 3 wire

Dexter
Ohh okay
So you just can't program it?

j preusser
The one in your photo looks different. Also doesnt have the extra red little wire.

Dexter
Yeah, that was an older photo and that other red wire wasn't needed.

j preusser
I can program i think but i havent gotten that far due to not being able to get a sgnal from the receiver;.

Dexter
Hrmm odd.
Ok, either way though we can replace it. You have the SBEC one and the SBEC had overheating problems.

j preusser
What about only having 1 signal wire?

Dexter
We're moving currently though.
We should have a new address which you can ship it too in about 1-2 weeks.

j preusser
Can i just return it? And what about the receiver I bought from you. is it supposed to work with the flysky?

Dexter
You can exchange it.

j preusser
With what?

Dexter
or get store credit.

j preusser
Ok
What about the receiver

Dexter
You can send it in and we can check it.

j preusser
Ok will do. Whats your address?

DIY ELECTRICIC SKATEBOARDS CHAT NOVEMBER 10TH

Dexter
We don't have it yet. We can send you the new address in 1-2 weeks.

j preusser
Lol. So i cant send it anywhere now?

DexterNo, you can't.
You can send it to our old address but we won't be able to retrieve it.
so I'd suggest waiting.

j preusser
You dont have your new address yet or even a home address or even a friend or something?

Dexter
Unfortunately, the wrong time is now.
No, sorry.
Email me in 1 week or so.

j preusser
ok. then is my store credit good now?

Dexter
No, it's not. Not until we get settled and receive the product and have the new product ready to ship.

j preusser
seriously? Everything I have bought from you has had serious issues and now you are saying that you are basically homeless or whatever which seems like just giving me the runaround
I run an ecommerce business myself and if I handle it in this manner I would be done.

Dexter
I said give me a week and I'll have the new address for you.

j preusser
dexter, you dont even know where you are moving but you are already outr of your old place?
THAT IS SERIOUS BS
\
Dexter
You cannot deliver yet so we don't have the address to give to you yet.

j preusser
BOLOGNY

Dexter
You can't wait 5-6 days to get the new address?

j preusser
I paid allot for your product and you could have at least recalled the thing if you know it is overheating. That could catch my board on fire and explode my lithiums. Very dangerous.
I can wait of course but its just the principal way that you treat me that i am not happy with

I have waited over a month past his move. He just won't reply to email. It's so frustration to shoot a video of the problem and then compress it for email and then write a long email, proofing it for clarity and shortening it to minimize his time only to be fricken ignored. It's happened so many times. Everything I've bought from him except an enclosure has sucked. Even the nunchuck was crap.

I respect your opinion and am happy that he got it right for you. I run a small commerce business like his so I totally gave him all of the slack in the world. This problem started months ago and I've just been writing him email and being understanding. But for the past 2 weeks I have been meaning to write this report so as to keep sellers like Dexter from getting complacent and taking us for granted. He stated in a post a while back that he was "here to stay", meaning that he was not affected too much by single complaints. At least that's how I understood it. Arrogance.

Jerry
2m
Yeah, he has done this a couple of times in his chat box "give me an hour and then I can answer your question". And then no reply for days both times. And the question was very basic, yes or no question if I remember correctly. It felt like pure arrogance. Like I'm gonna wait and chase him around like he's a crack dealer or something. Ugghh it has been frustrating. The money isn't even the bad part. It's the time I spent trying to get his ESCs to work. He just doesn't care about you once you have a grievance with him.

Back