ECF board - Open differential - University Project

dracksed

1 mW
Hi Guys!

We are a 6-man team of mechanical engineering undergrad students based in Montreal and we are undertaking our final design Capstone project as per our degree requirements. We have chosen to design and assemble an electric carbon fiber longboard for the project and are currently in the final stages of manufacturing our prototype. The features of our design include the following:
• Top and bottom mating decks to be molded from carbon fiber resin for a light yet sturdy frame
• A differential gear system powering two rear wheels via a single motor for greater acceleration and braking performance
• Mobile App that will display to the user their current speed, distance traveled, distance remaining to their destination and battery life. This application will also consist of a ‘Reach’ feature allows the user to enter a destination whereupon the app prints out the best route (bike paths) map for user and determines if the user can make it to his/her destination through the use of the google map API.
Given the unique features of our design and overall success thus far, we are considering bringing this product to market after the project. As such, we are conducting a short survey to gather some market research about our potential product in order to make improvements for its prospective production version.
We appreciate any feedback you have to offer and thank you for taking the time to fill out our survey!

Link for the survey : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdaBayyoiYN7BeXuMFLempyEtSPAp1QFrepzh5GWejc93n5qg/viewform?c=0&w=1

For more infos : www.ecf-board.com

Nice concept, I would love it if you could let me know the gears you used - I was looking at some for a project and wasn't sure what would work. What power and rpm are you running through them, how big are they and are they noisy?

How does the weight of the motor/gearbox compare to the weight of a dual hub or geared drive of equal ability?

I wish you would have used a traditional kingpin design. It would have put the motor outboard, behind the tail of the deck. allowing you to have a better/comparable ride-height to that of a traditional longboard . As it is, the ride is going to be inherently unstable and awkward.

Back