motors/power train for very low speed operation

mfidelman

1 µW
Hi,

I'm working on a stand-up mobility walker. I'd prefer to use hub-motors, and keep the drive train dirt simple - dual motors, with tank-style steering.

I'm thinking of two different approaches - both of which start with a walker and attach a platform to stand on.

Approach 1: Replace each of the walker's front wheels with a combination tire/wheel/hub motor - with perhaps a 10" diameter.
Approach 2: Use a dual-motor electric skateboard truck underneath the platform.

The thing is, that I can't seem to find any information about the operating characteristics of hub motors (or really any motors) at low speeds (2-4mph). For a skateboard truck, that translates to 200-400rpm. The things can obviously run at those speeds - electric longboards will accelerate from a standing stop, climb inclines, etc. But... all the electric characteristics and design advice focuses on designing for top speed.

So... anybody have any information on power drain for, say Maytech e-skateboard hub-motors operating at 100rpm; optimal battery voltage; VESC configuration - that sort of thing?

Thanks!

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

this is made by the forum owner. may not have the motor and esc you plan to use but gives an idea of voltage and efficiency at low speeds. doing such low voltage as you talked about on the other forum will be a problem with the vesc or most other high voltage/low amp escs. it's not the worst to use a high voltage esc, a bit less efficient, but could be a way to go. quieter.

Back