Original Apex37/VESC/Turnigy 6374 Build Thread

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional

Original Apex37/VESC/Turnigy 6374 Build Thread

Postby askor » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:00 am

Hey all, I'm usually shocking at documenting projects, but this time I'm determined to take pictures as I go and write stuff down. I hope someone finds this project interesting.

I built an eBike to commute to Uni a couple of years back, and after doing 3000km on it decided to sell it on. 6 months later I have the bug again, and have decided to build an electric longboard.

I've had this Original Apex37 Carbon for about 5 years now and it's served me well. I really like how it rides so I think it will be an ideal platform to strap a motor to.
20170604_175619.jpg
20170604_175619.jpg (114.81 KiB) Viewed 123 times


18650 cells seem to be an ideal form factor, with a good compromise between robustness and energy density/power/cost etc. I went for 50x Samsung INR18650-25R, in a 10S5P configuration. Here's the cells hotglued together for prototyping and making sure they'll fit.
20170604_175759.jpg
20170604_175759.jpg (110.3 KiB) Viewed 123 times


18926393_1432931060101626_608044254_o.jpg
18926393_1432931060101626_608044254_o.jpg (50.43 KiB) Viewed 123 times


I had some silicone insulated 6AWG multistrand in my shed so figured I'd use that and save some money. Turns out it was far too big.
20170604_175841.jpg
20170604_175841.jpg (89.89 KiB) Viewed 123 times


The wire was made of 7 main strands of copper twisted together, with each strand consisting of a whole bunch of little strands...if that makes sense. I stripped the insulation off the wire and re-wound it into two groups of three, with a single strand left over. This was a more suitable thickness, which I bent into shape and tinned with solder.
The 18650 cells have a thin anti corrosion coating on the terminals that solder doesn't wet to, so that was scraped off and the terminals tinned. I've soldered 18650 cells before, and found it doesn't damage the cells if you're quick and use an iron with a high thermal mass. The iron doesn't make contact for more than 2 seconds.

Here are the cell groups soldered up, and how they'll be laid out under the board.
20170606_135026.jpg
20170606_135026.jpg (108.29 KiB) Viewed 123 times


20170606_135046.jpg
20170606_135046.jpg (98.43 KiB) Viewed 123 times


They will ultimately be housed in a DIY wet-laid carbon fiber enclosure consisting of 4 compartments to allow for board flex.

Onto the motor:

After doing some research it seemed as though the Turnigy SK3 6374 192KV motor would be a good candidate to power the board.
This thing is huge. I love it
18987471_1436860306375368_519336885_o.jpg
18987471_1436860306375368_519336885_o.jpg (37.47 KiB) Viewed 123 times


20170607_184354.jpg
20170607_184354.jpg (161.54 KiB) Viewed 123 times


That's all the progress I've made so far, but I've got heaps of stuff in the mail so hopefully this will be a quick build. The most laborious aspects will be designing/making molds for the carbon fiber, and designing the wireless remote/modifying the (incoming) VESC software to suit.

This is a brief overview of the direction I'm hoping to take the build. Stay tuned..
Last edited by askor on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
askor
10 mW
10 mW
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:52 pm

Return to Stand-up E-scooters and E-skateboards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DAND214 and 8 guests