Remove speed limit from step

Elbobbah

1 mW
Hi,

I bought a stand-up scooter. It is going ok, but not fast enough :)
Could you please advise where to start?
Pictures of the controler on following link:
https://imgur.com/a/xb7C0

Thanks !

What is it's current top speed? Mount a simple bicycle computer on the scooter with the magnet and sensor at the rear wheel. Then see what the max speed is when lifted in the air at full throttle vs. riding it on a flat stretch of road with you on it. If the speed riding it is a lot less than lifted in the air it isn't restricted. Then the battery pack voltage will determine the max speed and you will need to get a higher voltage battery and controller.
If it is restricted (speed in air = speed when riding) then you need to contact the seller to see if it can be derestricted.

More info on battery and motor
300W toothed brushless EP motor
36v, 10.4 ah oplaadbare lithium batterij

Speed is 18kph (about 11mph).

Your controller says 36v 15amps so you should be getting at least 500w of peak power? If you are then it probably isn't speed (current) limited. I have overvolted many of currie scooters to around 12s lipo without problems, but it is pushing the limits of the voltage caps.

wineboyrider said:
Your controller says 36v 15amps so you should be getting at least 500w of peak power? If you are then it probably isn't speed (current) limited. I have overvolted many of currie scooters to around 12s lipo without problems, but it is pushing the limits of the voltage caps.

However engine is 300W

Don't bother trying to upgrade that controller. just get another one that will do what you want. By the time you hack that one for more performance, you will have spent more time and money than it's worth.

ElectricGod said:
Don't bother trying to upgrade that controller. just get another one that will do what you want. By the time you hack that one for more performance, you will have spent more time and money than it's worth.

But Will a new controller help if the engine is only 300W?
Will a 36v controller with more current (now 15A) do the trick?

So if I am correct, The output should be 15*36 = 525W, but the engine is only 300W
Or does this have nothing to see with each other?

Elbobbah said:
ElectricGod said:

So if I am correct, The output should be 15*36 = 525W, but the engine is only 300W
It's a brushed motor so you could put 1000w through it if you wanted too. The 300w rating is a nominal or average rating. As the motor might start out with 500w peak the watts will slow down as you get up to speed. You can easily push this motor probably up into the 1000w range, but you might overheat the motor, but the motors are cheap so why not give it hell?

lol

wineboyrider said:
Elbobbah said:
ElectricGod said:

It's a brushed motor so you could put 1000w through it if you wanted too. The 300w rating is a nominal or average rating. As the motor might start out with 500w peak the watts will slow down as you get up to speed. You can easily push this motor probably up into the 1000w range, but you might overheat the motor, but the motors are cheap so why not give it hell?

lol

Lol good thinking.
So something like this would do the trick?

https://www.banggood.com/nl/36V-500W-Motorcycle-Controller-Brushed-W-Throttle-Twist-Grips-78-inches22_2mm-Electric-Bike-p-1142210.html?gmcCountry=BE&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&cur_warehouse=CN&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=zouzou&utm_campaign=pla-be-elc2-pc-nl&gclid=CjwKCAjw-NXPBRB4EiwAVNRLKqZuRLkcno9yxsNHpEHOAzlA2DB7704vTF4miRPxCtNbfsTv74MJcxoClPAQAvD_BwE

Elbobbah said:
wineboyrider said:
Elbobbah said:
ElectricGod said:

lol

Lol good thinking.
So something like this would do the trick?

https://www.banggood.com/nl/36V-500W-Motorcycle-Controller-Brushed-W-Throttle-Twist-Grips-78-inches22_2mm-Electric-Bike-p-1142210.html?gmcCountry=BE&currency=EUR&createTmp=1&cur_warehouse=CN&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=zouzou&utm_campaign=pla-be-elc2-pc-nl&gclid=CjwKCAjw-NXPBRB4EiwAVNRLKqZuRLkcno9yxsNHpEHOAzlA2DB7704vTF4miRPxCtNbfsTv74MJcxoClPAQAvD_BwE
I like the yi yun controllers best and I buy them from electricscooterparts.com

https://www.electricscooterparts.com/speedcontrollers60volt.html
24-60V 700-1000W Electric Scooter/Bicycle Speed Controller with Throttle
24-60 Volt input range. Works with 24-36 Volt motors up to 700 Watts, and 48-60 Volt motors up to 1000 Watts. Current limiting feature prevents controller and motor damage due to over-current conditions. Includes a standard variable speed hall-effect twist throttle with matching left hand side grip. Works with 24, 36, 48, and 60 Volt battery packs.
Item # SPD-601000A
This is the one I have it can take up to 60v and less wires and very durable and will let you play with different voltages. You just have to manage your batteries low voltage cutoff.

Wait a minute I looked at the pic of your controller again and I see what look like three phase wires so it might be a brushless motor and controller?
Do you have a pic and a model description of your motor and scooter?

http://golfcart.en.made-in-china.com/product/JSqQXFyPXGRi/China-300-W-Foldable-Electric-City-Scooters-with-Lithium-Battery.html
This one? If so you could probably do a shunt mod on your fets and up the current? First thing to know is if it is speed restricted so you will have to measure the current from your controller?

wineboyrider said:
http://golfcart.en.made-in-china.com/product/JSqQXFyPXGRi/China-300-W-Foldable-Electric-City-Scooters-with-Lithium-Battery.html
This one? If so you could probably do a shunt mod on your fets and up the current? First thing to know is if it is speed restricted so you will have to measure the current from your controller?

http://bestep.be/ is the site, local brand
300W HUB motor it is brushless...

wineboyrider said:

Indeed exactly that one

Ok you're going to need a brushless controller for it or you can open up the controller and add some solder to it to get more current.

Wonder if it is geared or DD hub? If it is geared you can only push it a little bit up the watt scale, but if it's a DD hub you could go higher?

Probably a high rpm geared (toothed as is in their info) hub motor. If it's not speed restricted you will have to upgrade the battery voltage to get more speed. 48V instead of 36V would give 24km/h.

A lot of information at once, since I am new to this, I will try to do some research.
Not every question/answer is clear to me :)

Anyway, thanks a lot for all the answers!

Will get back to you guys when I have more details :pancake: :pancake: :pancake: :pancake:

Back