Hover board motors for mountain board

Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional
Telemachus   10 W

10 W

Hover board motors for mountain board

Post by Telemachus » Nov 01 2017 6:17pm

All of the builds I have seen for e-skateboards and mountain boards use brush-less motors with a belt drive to the wheel.

I have two hover board wheels sitting around.

I think they would fit onto the truck pretty easily. Is there some reason no one uses them?

I think two of them would easily pull 10-12 MPH and would have a LOT of torque to get up hills.

Ianhill   100 kW

100 kW

Re: Hover board motors for mountain board

Post by Ianhill » Jan 16 2018 12:29pm

Seems to me the only issue with using them is the tyre is solid so not much cushion and the axle needs to be sturdy so a custom set of trucks is best but I'm all over this loving the idea of forming a deck making the truck's and shove 12s 20ah of lipo I already have and make a 4wd one with four 350w 48v controllers be a very reliable robust ride done right.

Telemachus   10 W

10 W

Post by Telemachus » Nov 16 2018 12:04pm

I did end up finishing the project earlier in the year. The hoverboard wheels actually worked great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43i-DiQwRSM

Ianhill   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Ianhill » Nov 18 2018 4:53pm

The hoverboard wheels are surprisingly powerful for their size, the torque they have is plentiful I've pitched about with one on a flipsky vesc 6.6 with similar speed results as yourself but I can adjust the phase amps and increase the torque so they are on their limit nearly tapping out and even though it only gets to just over 15mph the torque is mental and viscous it will soon the tyre up in the wet or lose ground no problem if like to try it in delta see if the halls still work and how well it behaves.