I was at the scrap yard the other day looking for metal when I found these triangles of 1/16" steel:
Normally I prefer 1/8" or larger for a mount, but since I'm trying to keep the weight down, I decided to pay $2.00 and use them. I really love my local scrap yard. They have a literal hill of scrapped lawn mowers, pressure washers, riding mowers and gas scooters. I'll take a picture the next time I'm over.
At first I was going to do some thing like this:
But I decided that I would have too much flex in the metal. I decided to make my "standard" motor mount for a Unite. I have a template that I made up before for marking my holes. I glued it to the steel and used my drill press on the template:
Then I cut out the pieces and welded them:
I might redo the welds. I was using .023 wire that came with my machine. I switched to .030 today and I'm getting much better welds.
Then I went to work on the swing arm. I cut off the mounts for the rear wheel from the frame and welded some 1/2" square steel tube to them. I used the wheel to make sure everything was lined up properly, (I usually would just use a long bolt for something like this, but I was lazy!
I then added the mount for the motor mount and the frame for mounting the shock(s), (not sure if I'm going with a mono shock or dual shocks yet):
(Sorry about not having more pictures. I just dropped my Nikon and broke the lens, so I'm using my cell phone. I seem to have lost some pics
Right now the swing arm is feeling a little more chunky than I had envisioned. I might make some adjustments to it later.
I also managed to weld the connecting plate to the scooter frame and do the initial lining up of the parts so that I can visualize what I want and how I will make it all connect:
I'm hoping to have it all connected tomorrow, but I have some appointments, so I'll see how much I can get done.
1st computer I used - Tandy TRS-80, 1st computer I owned - IBM PC-XT, 1st computer I fried - IBM XT-286
Pulse Charger Revolution, current stock w/ lead-acid batteries, (soon to change......)
Razor E300, modded with YK41B, Unite 36v 1000w, disc brakes