Lightweight / Folding / Portable EVs - seats optional
ElectricGod
1 MW
1 MW

Re: first post. Looking for some scooter upgrade guidance

Post by ElectricGod » Jan 30, 2018 7:43 pm

drc wrote:
Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm
So the information is coming in thick and fast ! so i need time to digest everything . so my photo bucket is fixed for now so i will use this to post progress so watch this space. This is going to be a slow build as i want to tackle each part in bite size pieces .

in answer to some of the questions : i have replaced the deck and fitted a solid plywood deck and grip taped this. this was done on day one of ownership. the last thing i want is to slip of in a corner due to a slippy surface. i have also taken the advice an orderd a thumb throttle as being planted on the scooter will give me full control. I have also picked up a 3 position handle bar switch for toggling the different settings ( jogging speed, traffic speed , and all out hell speed) .

The controller is being planed and developed by EG as this is the brains of the operation and needs to right!
so this is something i am going to read up on for the next .

i plan to research and source all the part after this and lay them out and build it all in one go. Well that is the plan .
Replacing the deck was the first thing I did too. The plastic one was aweful and dangerous.

While you are messing with the deck seal up the battery box so dirt and water can't get in anywhere. Weather stripping is great for this purpose. It's sticky on one side and not on the other. Once you have it supposedly sealed up, spray the scooter down with water and see where the water is getting in. I bet you missed something. It took me 3 tries to get mine to be essentially weather proof. You will never be able to immerse the scooter, but riding in driving rain or through a deep puddle shouldn't be a problem.
ElectricGod...it's a joke...don't take things so seriously folks!

XB-502 Moped:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 0#p1222730

Currie scooter:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 7#p1227407

drc
1 mW
1 mW

Post by drc » Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

Good day to you all , so I have had a bit of time today to fiddle about with my sons EVs and my scooter. For giggles here is our EV fleet lol.

The car has a few areas modified, it runs different 550 motors and a 24v system that is adjustable plus it is also radio controlled for safety. it spins the wheels and runs to about 12mph at full tilt, way to fast for a toddle but is now future proof. The trike is now 12v with a 550 motor and again is adjustable. my son loves them.

So the scooter. First job is to make weather proof and cope with mud and water ingress. So the holes at the base have been tapped up with gaffer tape , the gaps and holes in the chassis and have been silicone up . The deck has been lifted with a few washers to level it off then weather strip has been added to both sides as can be seen in the picture . the result is a very good seal with no major water ingress from the hose pipe. So that is that job done .

I thought I would also add picture of the before I start doing anything else for my refernce as most of the scooter is stock. I was shocked how poor the wiring was it is a joke! This will be replaced along the way.

So Eletricgod has very kindly decided to be my mentor on this build and has offered to support my journey with his vast knowledge and skills . The bare bones of the build are as follows: it will be running a Alien power c80100 80kv motor with support ( purchased) , a 12f “modified and enhanced “ controller with telemetry , 74v lipo set up , running a 219 chain . There will be many little things that get changed and upgraded over the build but I will add these as they happen. All in all this will be a fun scooter when its done and should provide years of enjoyment. The left over motor controller and batteries will go into a kart or scooter build later down the line.

I’m going to accrue the parts over the next few months as there is no rush to get it done (I am poor and have very little money) . The scooter works as it is and does a basic job of moving my bulk around .

i will keep the thread updated i am off for a scoot as i have the day off.

drc
1 mW
1 mW

Post by drc » Feb 12, 2018 11:23 am

So , I have been picking up lots of little bits from China over the last few weeks such as wires, terminal blocks ,lights, switches ,grips ,bolts, tape ETC but many are yet to arrive due to new year holidays and delivery timescales( photos and info will follow). So the plan is to go with a 20s 20Ah pack made from 5 multi-star 4s packs these should fit in the bay nicely and still give me a little room for wires and other ancillaries. Charger of choice will be something like this:

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-charger-ev ... arger.html

set up to run 82V so this should give me around 9A of current. I’m continuing to get out on the scooter despite the bitter cold weather we are having here in the UK and very much enjoying the experience. this scooter is now officially slow by my standards granted when it gets to 25 MPH it gets a little more interesting but overall the initial thrill has settled into a complacency . I’m sure this will change over the next few months. That reminds me I need a decent skater helmet.
There really is not very much I can update on at this time but I’m continuing to learn and read on most things Scooter and EV. (baby steps) .
EG your emails of knowledge and information have all been organised now so I can reference this more effectively. You are the ORICAL.

drc
1 mW
1 mW

Post by drc » Feb 13, 2018 5:42 pm

I had a couple of hours tonight to tinker so I took myself off to the garage to see what I could do. So after I decided to fit a smaller rear gear (54 down to 44) to the scooter. So after removing the wheel and a couple of links in the chain I swapped out the rear sprocket and also fitted the original dirt tyre as I mostly take it down muddy tracks at the moment.
Whilst I was at it I removed the pinion gear (10 up to 11) and fitted the stock one giving me 4:1 ( as apose to 5.1:1) . Well I put it all back together and with a full charge I took it out and knowing I would loose acceleration and boy I was shocked this thing was now drawing all the power the SLA 48v had to offer the stock controller and it was slow. It took a long run along a 200m stretch of road to just get up to 22 mph. Where as normally it could hit the top speed (26/27mph) in less than half that . So after putting it away I will be putting back the 54 and 10 back on soon , as this was no fun and won't do the stock battery any good .

Goodnews I have ordered the 219 chain and lube this evening . More parts on the way yippy.