Another Custom Skate remote for VESC

dmcke5

10 µW
Hi guys, been a while since I posted here! I recently built an electric skateboard using the Turnigy kit. Loved it but wanted to make use of the telemetry information available to me from the VESC and also have a more compact unit than the RC remote I was using.
I know plenty of people had already done similar to this and I could've just built one of theirs but I wanted to do my own for the learning experience.
The case is made out of billet aluminium and is 20mm thick:
IMG_20180316_133301.jpg

IMG_20180316_163650.jpg

I managed to squeeze all of the electronics in, but it wasn't pretty. Will come back to this eventually and design a PCB to properly mount and connect everything. For the time being, its all wired together and held in place with hot glue. I don't have any current photos of the internals handy but here's a rough look at the layout:
IMG_20180316_170406.jpg

The OLED screen mounts in the slot at the top between the two halves and provides one screen of telemetry info at a time. I found any more than this on such a small screen was too difficult to read whilst moving. A single push button is used to swap between each telemetry read out (volts, amps, speed, distance, capacity).
IMG_20180321_145109.jpg

I've got to take some pictures of the trigger but its pretty similar to most RC triggers, except I used two magenets and a hall sensor to keep the width of the housing down.

And finally, here's a picture of the RX and everything else mounted to the board, ready for testing.
IMG_20180401_002429.jpg

It's all working pretty well but I'm still tidying things up and making tweaks to the failsafe settings in my RX code to try and make it as safe as possible in the event the transmitter stops working.

Let me know what you think!

I don't know enough about the technical end of things to comment on that, but regarding the size/shape, there are a number of places you wouldn't want to be riding around holding that where it could be seen--here in the Phoenix/etc valley area being one of them. You could get shot just because it vaguely looks like a gun. :(

Yeah, I can understand that I guess! The shape just seems to work pretty well for me, and I've seen plenty of professional ones in this shape. Plus around here that sort of thing isn't a problem, most of the people you'll see out and about probably won't have ever even seen a gun in real life, let alone have one of their own to shoot you with haha

Back