Currie IZIP I-500-CD Project

MWisBest

1 µW
Was given this broken scooter to fix up and sell, but as I put more work into it I think I'm better off keeping compared to what I could possibly sell it for.

The batteries were shot of course, but I just happened to have a pair of unused 12V 9Ah SLA batteries laying around to get it going. Front inner tube needed to be patched, the battery harness needed the wires replaced, still needs a charger port and probably a kickstand (I'm 22 and having to lean it up is bothering me, can't imagine what a possible parent buying the thing would think about that).

The chain was making an awful noise (even after lubricating it), turns out the rear sprocket was bent pretty bad. Took a few hours of swearing but eventually I got that stupid thing off the wheel.

So I'll start off with getting a freewheel and slightly smaller sprocket for the rear wheel, plus a new chain, just to get it going again.

Future stuff will be lithium-ion batteries (duh), different motor and controller, and maybe disc brakes. I don't intend to make a rocketship here, just a little something to get around town in other than my car.

Got my parts in yesterday!

Scooter is whisper quiet now, night and day difference. I had to put a couple washers between the wheel sprocket and the freewheel to get the correct alignment with the motor sprocket, but other than that it went together pretty good. BTW, for anybody installing something onto these threaded wheel hubs, I highly recommend putting some anti-seize on there. Good luck removing it later if you don't.

fechter said:
Nice work. Now you need to update the batteries with some lithium cells.

Thanks! Yeah it definitely needs lithium batteries, but I'll have to save up for a while to buy them. Got other more important things to pay for!

I didn't like the power wiring on the scooter very much, so I kinda redid it. I have a bit of a wiring fetish so this is kinda overkill, but having 12 AWG wire fused at 40A was kinda ridiculous I think.

Got some goodies from Littelfuse to try out:

That's a MAXI fuse holder, an inline low-profile JCASE fuse holder with 8 AWG leads, and some extra fuses. The MAXI fuse is available in a 58V version (although I could only get samples of the 32V fuse, which is fine for now at least). The LP JCASE fuse is rated to 58V as well. ATO fuses (like what the scooter used stock) are only rated to 32V, so again another sketchy thing with the stock wiring since I assume they use that on the 36V scooters too...

12 oz can for size reference on the MAXI fuse holder, thing's huge!

Decided to go with the MAXI fuse holder as the controller fuse, and it's going to double as an on/off switch, rather than the sketchy "DPST switch in parallel for double the current handling" thing.

8 AWG wires crimped to the included connectors:

All put together. Quite the ignition key! Lol.

This is how it all mounts. The power wires come in and out through what used to be the charger port cutout, with a grommet added so they seal up and don't cut on the metal. The fuse holder is attached to a rubber plug that fit into the switch cutout well enough. I'll go around this all with silicone when I'm satisfied it's all good.

So now I just gotta get this connected to the battery and the controller and I'll be good to go.

I’ve modified Schwinns and Lashouts and I noticed your trying to add disc brakes . My suggestion would be to pick up some available machined parts from EV deals . I sent protypes to Scott there and now you can buy them cheap these will allow you to add the discs .

Attachments

• scooter.JPG
    scooter.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,839
  • avid and adapter.jpg
    avid and adapter.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,839
Also you mentioned you needed parts kick stands, I also have custom battery trays for your scooter . If you need them let me know. Just cover the freight and handling its yours. just show them on a post so I know they are being used for your project.schwinn parts.jpg

Back