Electric scooter controller issues chaos

Tj1990

10 mW
Got a new scooter today, chaos 48v 1600w brushless Not working, was told the controller was blown and scooter needed tlc lol. not going to have money for brushless controller anytime soon. Is there any way of testing controller ?

So I put my spare 36v motor and 48v controller on it for now, the wijring was bad tape everywhere, no labels on connectors. So I wired it together and had smoke coming from the wires/controller. After Further inspection indicator and power switch wires were burnt together, not sure if they were already like this before I turned it on As they were under tape.

After quickly re taping the now exposed wires nothing happens wen I turn it on ? Have I damaged my controller or throttle ? How can I test the controller and throttle ?

Any help would be much appreciated

If the throttle has LEDs for battery level, then if the wire for batteyr voltage and one of the other throttle wires were swapped, it probably destroyed both the hall in the throttle and anything in the controller that was connected to the battery voltage line.

You'd ahve to trace where each wire went to while you had it connected, to know if this is the case.

Yes I too have a similar problem.
I was riding my chaos 1600w over speed bumps and when I got near to the top of the hill it just stopped on me, lights on the throttle cable working but the throttle wouldn’t push the bike for some reason, it was not responsive yet the lights where working so I was wondering if it was the brushless controller fault or the motors fault because I just checked all the electrics and looks alright just changed fuse that’s fine too.
Does anyone know what I can do:
1) change brushless controller and whole wiring loom
2)change back wheel motor for a reason I’m not sure how to check using not many tools
3)the battery- although this is highly unlikely i was thinking there might be battery damage

If I’m wrong please someone help me out I really wanna rude my new toy and would do what I can to fix it don’t know too much about it though.

Niko1234567 said:
Yes I too have a similar problem.
I was riding my chaos 1600w over speed bumps and when I got near to the top of the hill it just stopped on me, lights on the throttle cable working but the throttle wouldn’t push the bike for some reason, it was not responsive yet the lights where working so I was wondering if it was the brushless controller fault or the motors fault because I just checked all the electrics and looks alright just changed fuse that’s fine too.
Does anyone know what I can do:
1) change brushless controller and whole wiring loom
2)change back wheel motor for a reason I’m not sure how to check using not many tools
3)the battery- although this is highly unlikely i was thinking there might be battery damage

If I’m wrong please someone help me out I really wanna rude my new toy and would do what I can to fix it don’t know too much about it though.

Niko1234567 said:
Since you still have lights, it is probably not the battery shutting off at the BMS, if they also run from the same one as the motor.

However, it could be low enough in voltage that teh controller's LVC kicked in and stops the motor from running.

So..if you don't have a voltmeter, what lights are showing on the throttle, assuming it is a battery meter on there?

What happens after you recharge the battery?

Since the problem happened after a hill and after bumps, there are a number of possible issues.

The hill, if it is more load than it had previously seen while still working, could have overheated either motor or controller and caused a shutdown or a failure. If just a shutdown, it should have reset after a cooling period, which could take minutes to hours.

The bumps could have caused a loose connection (usually phase wires to the motor) to be even looser, which could then fail under high load (like the hill climb), by heating in the high resistance connection point to distort or even melt the interconnect. This is usually easily seen when examining connectors between motor and controller.

IT could also cause a loose connection in a low-power signal connection (halls, throttle, etc) that then finally just happens to open once you reached the point you did, or a smaller bump or vibration finished it off. That's harder to find.

So first check for the simply-found issues above, then let us know the answers to the questions and we can work from there.

m
Since you still have lights, it is probably not the battery shutting off at the BMS, if they also run from the same one as the motor.

However, it could be low enough in voltage that teh controller's LVC kicked in and stops the motor from running.

So..if you don't have a voltmeter, what lights are showing on the throttle, assuming it is a battery meter on there?

What happens after you recharge the battery?

Since the problem happened after a hill and after bumps, there are a number of possible issues.

The hill, if it is more load than it had previously seen while still working, could have overheated either motor or controller and caused a shutdown or a failure. If just a shutdown, it should have reset after a cooling period, which could take minutes to hours.

The bumps could have caused a loose connection (usually phase wires to the motor) to be even looser, which could then fail under high load (like the hill climb), by heating in the high resistance connection point to distort or even melt the interconnect. This is usually easily seen when examining connectors between motor and controller.

IT could also cause a loose connection in a low-power signal connection (halls, throttle, etc) that then finally just happens to open once you reached the point you did, or a smaller bump or vibration finished it off. That's harder to find.

So first check for the simply-found issues above, then let us know the answers to the questions and we can work from there.
hi, im having the same problem with my scooter too but it randomly cuts off and throttle will be non responsive, weirdly i tap the deck a bit and it moves again but lights stay on wholetime and ive had a look at everything and cant sus what it is but when i checked the fuse connector the fuse looked like it might be a bit melted on the inside do you think it just needs fuse replaced?

Back