Electric Schwinn Shuffle?

Mithion

10 W
https://goo.gl/images/AUQ8cW

Has anyone turned this electric?

Rear hub motor, battery pack on the “down tube” or somehow incorporated into the deck...

Kinda sad that no one answered your question. I came up with the same idea and searched around on ES, only to find this lonely thread :cry:

That probably means that no one attempted it yet.

That's not sad at all, any one of you could be the first one! Doesn't seem like a very difficult build, and it it actually a pretty good basis. Just stick with a lightweight hub motor since there is no suspension.
In my opinion, the only complicated point will be to fit the brake, the rest is pretty much straight forward.

I got a Schwinn Shuffle for my wife for Christmas. As soon I saw it I said that needs a motor. She said no at first until she ran into the hills in our area. Just a cheap 48v 1000w12.jpg 26in hub/ with a 52v eco 5ah batt. its rides surprisingly well uphill and down.

jessejay1 said:
I got a Schwinn Shuffle for my wife for Christmas. As soon I saw it I said that needs a motor. She said no at first until she ran into the hills in our area. Just a cheap 48v 1000w12.jpg 26in hub/ with a 52v eco 5ah batt. its rides surprisingly well uphill and down.

Thanks for coming out of the lurk to share this post.

Can you share a little bit about the experience of riding one? Most of us have only had bikes in our lives. I would like to have one for the occasional blast up and down the ocean walk. I would maybe use it for grocery trips, but I don't know how they would fare with bags. I see a basket on your wife's bike, you might have some experience there.

I'm about to electrify mine.
I am most worried about a 'too big' hub motor on a kick bike.
I've been building ebikes for customers for 3 years using mid drive 48v1000w motors. I have a spare front hub 48v500w laced into a 26" inch wheel as luck would have it.
My concern is that it's a bit more power than I need. I live in hills, Denver, where every sidewalk hill is 3 to 6% grade. Just not a kick bike scene...so I want to use the Schwinn as an experiment. If it's too big and scary for me, I'll sell the set up and start over with a smaller motor.
Schwinn arrives tomorrow, then I can see what the options for battery pack placement are. I'd rather have a bottle battery but we'll see how it goes.

These absolutely need to be electrified. I started trying to make one from a regular MTB frame, but stopped halfway through to take care of two other projects. Plus I'm just not sure I want to completely build a kick-bike frame from the ground up... I'll probably just keep an eye out for a steal on one. Neat project though, don't forget to share the results!

I got my Schwinn Shuffle yesterday via Amazon and assembled it. Needed lots of extra help, but I'm a former bike mechanic so all i needed was my good tools.
Added new tubes with some Stans in them for protection against flats.
Got all excited that I would finish the e-build, got all my bits and bobs and then realized that my wheel is a rear wheel. I'd gotten it to do a client bike last summer but after I ordered it, I talked him into a mid-drive motor instead. This hub wheel had been in my shop corner all winter turned around and when i got everything together I remembered it was rear.
So, ordered a new front hub wheel and will post when it arrives. Next week...

This is the pic i took and then saw the wheel...

Here is my Shuffle...

shuffle3.jpg

shuffle2.jpg

shuffle1.jpg

$150 Amazon 36v 500w wheel. EM3ev battery. Its is fun to ride...19mph top speed...which seems plenty fast on a machine of this quality. The front end is obviously heavy, so the kickstand is not so great if the wheel flops to one side. The rear is light enough to lift with a toe to scoot it around. I would like to make a wider platform to stand on. I put good tires on after i got a couple flats on the rear in one week.

Nice battery mount. A rear motor on one of those might handle better.

Below is a very early (2001) version of a motorized kick scooter:

Zappymeet2.jpg

It rode pretty well but it does have a learning curve. Practice panic stops.

Thanks, I put a single rivnut in the frame at the top of the battery mounting plate...seems pretty solid. The Shuffle feels great at speed and i can make corners under full throttle. Slow speed is a little more challenging, and as you say, there is a learning curve so it wont buck you off.
I too think a rear drive would be better, but i had this wheel (my first ebike purchase) so i thought i would try a Shuffle. I like it a lot.
That is a nice scooter collection ya got!

magneato said:
Its an Origin-8 Classique CargoUnit basket. Its kinda pricey but well made.

Found one, ordered and will arrive this week.
I'll finish mine next week then.
I'm considering racking the back and placing the battery over the rear wheel to balance the weight a bit.
Leave the controller in the basket.

Does the battery get in the way where you have it?

No, its up a little so your toes will go under. I also scoot back as far as i can to spread the load out.

I am a bit of a newb but why would a rear hub motor handle better? I am thinking of doing my own build as well.

I dont know if it would handle better, perhaps a preference thing. The hub motor is heavy, so having the weight in the back would generally be better. With all the weight in the front and being front wheel drive, it takes a little getting used to at low speeds. Perhaps the steering feels heavy. Once moving along, my Shuffle seems stable and rides nice. I suppose if you could brake hard enough with the light rear, you could go over the handlebars?
Do not brake hard and take your feet off the platform...i almost went all the way over once :lol:

Looks good, I'm considering a rear hub one of these as well myself down the road. Does anyone know if it's possible to swap the front fork out to a suspension fork?

Hi everyone!

I ran across the shuffle on Amazon and knew it needed a motor. I'd been doing 2 stroke scooters like the goped for 10 years or so, and I've grown tired of them. So this is going to be my first venture into electric motors.

I've already gotten the scooter, and its awesome even by itself. I've also done what I feel is a fair amount of research into electric motors, and here's what I have landed on at this point.

This motor kit:
https://www.leafbike.com/products/diy-bike-conversion-kit/20-inch-48v-52v-1500w-front-hub-motor-bike-conversion-kit-1071.html

I can't seem to find a lot of feedback on leafbike motors. Should I take that as a bad sign?

And this battery:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFTK6RB/?coliid=ICJKKTWWXXGVK&colid=1DI55AQQ8XUHI&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I like this motor because the specs on it make it seem like it has a lot more torque than most of the others I have seen. I know this may seem like a lot of power for someone who is new to electric, but I like a lot of power.

I'm really concerned at this point with quality, though. I'd really hate to have a thousand bucks in a project that won't work after 6 months, ya know?

My overall aspirations for this project are these:
Good torque off the line.
Top speed 30+, but 30mph MINIMUM.
Reasonable longevity with appropriate care and maintenance.
Less than $1000US to my door.

Please, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Corey

Well, after doing a bit more digging on this site, I've found a fair amount of people saying that leafbike is pretty decent hardware, so I ordered the kit and battery posted above.

I had them use a rim for a 20x2.1 tire so I could get a little more tread patch than the 1.75 tire that the shuffle comes stock with. Even with the shipping I'm still only into the motor for just under 500 to my door. Now the deconstruction/ reconstruction begins!

I'm going to order this rack for the controller and battery pack to mount on:
https://www.amazon.com/M-Wave-Alloy-One-4-All-Bicycle-Carrier/dp/B007Y5EP7S/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=20+inch+bike+rack&qid=1576544097&sprefix=20+inch+bike+ra&sr=8-6

I'm also going to go pick up a bunch of aluminum diamond plate from the orange big box hardware store to make a box for the battery, as well as a skid plate along the bottom of the sled. Just to help with frame stiffness and also to, you know, be a skid plate. I know nothing of welding, so I see a lot of screw clamps and jb weld in my future, lol.

I really like the handlebars with the basket that was earlier in the post too, lol.

I'm definitely going to make a new deck for it. The deck that comes stock is just... well... cute? Seeing as how I'm not really going to be kicking the kick scooter a whole lot anymore, I can afford a few more inches of width out of some gorgeous hardwood. I'm thinking mahogany? Ipe? Zebrawood? I'll have to go to the lumberyard and see what speaks to me, lol.

Once I have all my parts on hand, I'll start taking pictures.

Can someone please tell me the width of the rear hub or the inside distance between the rear frame rails where rear wheel attaches for the Schwinn Shuffle?

Thinking about using a MAC motor but I want to make sure the frame is wide enough before I buy the motor.

Thank You

magneato said:
I measure 4" :thumb:

Thank You...must use a standard 20" hub which is 100mm or as you measured 4" :wink: .

That means a MAC motor designed for the rear wheel (135mm) won't work but a MAC designed for the front would (100mm) :D .

Just ordered my "Shuffle" from Schwinn...if you sign up for their emails you get a 10% off coupon code. Price to my door was $154.

While it is being shipped, I am trying to decide on the motor. I'd like to use a geared hub so I can still kick without cogging. Has anybody installed a geared hub motor in the rear and if yes, what did you use and how well did it work? The dropout width both front and rear on the Shuffle is 100mm so a motor designed for the "front" should work on either end of the Shuffle.

Looking at the Grin Tech web site, seems like the Shengyi SX1 might be a good option to mount in the rear.

Sure wish EM3ev still sold the MAC, a 12T Front MAC would work nicely in the rear of the Shuffle IMO. Anybody know where I can buy a Front MAC Motor?

Back