Dead e scooter. Possible fix advice needed

1Seeker

10 µW
Hello all. I have one of Lunas V2 e scooter. I did not realize that no parts would be available so that is my bad on the purchase decision. It was fun as hell while it was working.

Scooter was working great when I parked it. After several days sitting it would not turn on. Only horn and light works.

A little research turns out others have had this problem and a new display is the fix. The problem now is that displays are not available.

This scooter has 12 inch front and rear hub motors and a 60V 21Ahr battery pack made with the Panasonic GA cells I think.

What could I do or what would you do to fix? Wondering how deep I have to go for the fix and if it's over my head to do. Guessing I would have to get a new controller and some type of display.

Also guessing the battery pack and its BMS are ok as is. It charges with a DC jack and outputs on I believe is an XT 60 connector.

If I could get it running on one motor would be better then nothing. It had 4 modes before with buttons for eco and turbo single or dual motor.

Thanks for any advice you may have

Does the display light up and look normal?

There was an issue with the throttle zero on those. If the throttle signal voltage is slightly low, the controller thinks the throttle wire is shorted to ground and goes into a safety shutdown mode.

The fix was to install a resistor or diode in series with the throttle ground. The throttle wire colors are non-standard.

I suggest getting a volt meter and measure from the battery negative (ok to use charger jack) to the throttle signal wire. Just measure all 3 wires.

Another test would be to hold the throttle just slightly advanced while turning on the power, then advance more to see if it runs.

Post a picture of the display and I can see if it looks like the one I worked on before.

Display totally blank. Tried engaging throttle while turning on still no go. I will check voltage from xt60 connector as suggested when I get deck apart. Too much chance checking from DC jack charge port. If attached picture too small will resend20180918_161600-1008x490.jpg

Picture is fine, but I don't recognize that model. But since it doesn't come on, it indicates a power issue.

Next step is to measure voltage at the battery connector like you say. When measuring here, it can sometimes give you a false reading if there is nothing connected other than the meter. But see what it gives you and also measure the voltage across the charger jack if possible. If the BMS is working and not tripped, the voltage on the charge port should be exactly the same as the discharge wires.

Is that the dual motor Apocalypse scooter?

Ok voltage st charge port is 54.9. I will get deck off later and check output. I dont really think BMS is tripped because it was working when parked and I had not tried to charge before riding so no chance of a sparked bms trip. I will verify later when get time to get apart.

Really appreciate the help. I will add several have had to replace display before luna ran out of them.

And yes it is the apocalypse v2. Loved it until it died and spent way too much.

As far as I know, the display contains the power switch that feeds the controller key (ignition) line. If that switch fails, it should be possible to bypass that line with a mechanical switch.

The throttle signal also goes through the display where it gets limited depending on the 3 speed mode setting. This can also be bypassed.

The speedometer function could be replaced with a standard bicycle speedometer.

It might take a little poking around with a voltmeter to figure out what all the wires are doing.

Where are you located?

Thanks for the help. I charged the pack a little more so now the pack is outputting around 62V. Attached picture of connector coming from display. This displayed turned on with an RFID remote you can see in the picture. I have 2 remotes. Also pic of battery and controllers. DView attachment 1ont care about speedometer.

Attachments

• 20180920_175831-490x1008.jpg
    20180920_175831-490x1008.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 819
No clue what to look for on connectors. Also I am in North East Florida.

That's why was wondering if I could replace controllers and a new display with some type of instructions as for pinouts.

The controllers look like mine but the display is different. I think it is possible to replace all the display functions with mechanical switches as the controller is not dependent on digital communications.

I don’t have a wiring diagram for the controller. It can be figured out with some testing.

Back