48 volts on 36v motor

ElRayo

10 µW
Hello everyone,new to the forum.I started ordering parts to make my homemade e-scooter.Ordered a yi-yun 1000w controller(says on 1000w 30A) and a my1020 motor 48v.The seller accidentally sent me a 36 volt one with the specification saying 1000w 36v and 32A rated current.I would like to know if I can use it with my 48v pb pack and the controller I ordered so i dont have to go through the fuss of returning the motor.Thank you

Ah yes, Unite motors, up my alley. First of all, unless something has changed since I wasted so much time on them, the motor you received should be running 2,600rpm at 36v, while the one you ordered would have run 2,600rpm at 48v. If you planned your gear ratio for the 48v, things will change. Perhaps by 800+rpm.

Basically you'll be conducting an experiment if you keep the motor. Is that what you want to do?

So you think there is a great possibility i might burn my setup?I ordered a 38 tooth rear sprocket,the one on the motor is 11t.I really thought the 36 volts was 2800 rpm (thats what it says on the label at least) and the 48 is 3000rpm (sellers info).I have calculated my sprockets for 3000 rpm so i can reach 25 mph

It won't burn up the motor... You might get slightly shorter life on the brushes if it's a brush motor. Now you will have the hot rod setup that will be more fun to drive and have too much fun on... Which is what will melt the motor! Lol.

The main reason they do two voltage is they want the scooter to go about the same top speed on the two different voltage packs... You just don't want to go the other way... 48v motor on 36v pack. Soooo slow.

I see xD .So is the speed controller compatible?are 30 amps enough for 48v pack?How do things work,does the controller take up to 30 A?or does the motor take 32A as mentioned on the specifications?

Whether your pack can output 30a safely all depends on the cells it's made of, and the number of cells in parallel. For example, you could say pull 30a out of a big pack, but if it's half the size, then each cell is working twice as hard.

Wondering what's up with your voltages too... You know a so called 36v battery actually goes to 42v when fully charged right? Or was that last question a typo and you meant 48v?

Basically you're hoping for the answer that it will be "Fine." But that will all depend on what your definition of 'Fine' is. He's trying to tell you that you might be happy going faster, etc. And it might come at the cost of shorter motor life on a motor that might still outlive you if you don't ride so very much.

I just want to tell you that some people do that deliberately, but there's the risk. You just have to decide that way.

Thank you very much for your replies, I decided to return the motor,better safe than sorry ;)

Back