How to choose a motor for 16" scooter

s1y

10 µW
Hi.
I'm planning to build e-scooter based on Yedoo City.
It has 16" front wheel, which will be driving.
Total weight with me will be about 120 kg.

What I'd like to achieve:
- maximum speed - 40 km/h
- comfortable speed - 25-30 km/h

I'd like to use brushless geared hub motor for this project, because it's light and small.
Which motor would you recommend, with what voltage and power?

[Yedoo City is a 16"x2.25" front wheel, 12"x2.25" back wheel kick scooter. See https://www.yedoo.eu/en/product/city-3mvrUB.aspx ]

Hello,
I have the same kick scooter with the same intention.
How far have you advanced in your project?
I've looked around for different possibilities with the limiting factor being the wheel sizes.
Have you checked out Aliexpress? Golden Motors? kits for Brompton on eBay?

Well, for now it's just theoretical research for me. Winter is coming, and it's plenty of time to think and order stuff :)
I wanted to make front wheel driving for a while , but now I'm inclining to just get a motor wheel for a rear 12" wheel - it seems easier. No rims, spokes and other stuff to think about.
Problem is the opening at the rear is 90 mm only, and as far as I can see, motors start from 100 mm. But I've decided to make a simple bracket there, which will allow me to install 100 mm motor and also will shift the wheel axis a bit down relative to the frame, which in turn will make the clearance a bit bigger.
Also I think it will make rear V-brake unusable, but I want to order motor wheel suited for disc brakes, so that's no problem too. At least theoretically. :)
As for a motor, I made some calculations and I think that 350 W 36 V will be enough.
For a battery I plan to get 18650 elements with capacity of 3200 mAh, configuration of 10s4p. 10s will get me 37 V and 4p - 12 A and 370+ Wh energy. It should be enough for 30 km/h speed and 35 km trip on one charge.
As for the shops, I'm now cruising Aliexpress, it's the cheapest one in terms of delivery for me.

Magic pie in a 16" cast wheel is a pretty nice option.
It can do up to >1500w with the right external controller in that tiny of a wheel. but i'd suggest driving the back wheel for safety reasons.. ( front forks are not designed to handle a lot of power )

There's plenty of other options which have smaller and lighter geared motors and/or fit motorcycle/scooter size axles, but that's just the first one that came to mind.

Might be difficult installing disque brakes in the rear. If you do make it, be sur to post pix; I'd be interested in installing disques in front. If anyone has advice on installing disque brakes on an otherwise non-disque fork...let me know. Also, I've already changed my rear wheel to a solide alluninium rim because the previous one had too many spokes broken (I use the scooter to take my kids to school, so together we're around 110kg). That's why I'm looking for front, 16" wheels, also without spokes.
Another matter to consider is the speed. The smaller the wheel, the lower the speed for the same rpm. Are you sure you can get to 30 km/h with the 12" wheel? I'm trying to find higher rpm motors, but not much luck (most don't even give you that info at first).

Also has anyone ordered through leafmotor.com? are they reliable? quality...?

Yes, I've already figured that rear wheel opening for this scooter model is very narrow, 90 mm or so, and it's hard to choose a motor that would fit there, much less a motor with a disc brake.
I've found a local forum for electric vehicles enthusiasts, and some people there are selling motors on behalf of Chinese factories. Promising setup, good reviews, already some completed projects there. Looking into it.

https://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?topic=11916.msg203761#msg203761

https://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php/topic,7765.0.html

s1y said:
Hi.
I'm planning to build e-scooter based on Yedoo City.
It has 16" front wheel, which will be driving.
Total weight with me will be about 120 kg.

What I'd like to achieve:
- maximum speed - 40 km/h
- comfortable speed - 25-30 km/h

I'd like to use brushless geared hub motor for this project, because it's light and small.
Which motor would you recommend, with what voltage and power?

[Yedoo City is a 16"x2.25" front wheel, 12"x2.25" back wheel kick scooter. See https://www.yedoo.eu/en/product/city-3mvrUB.aspx ]
Your scooter already bought?

The Yedoo Mezeq have 20front 16 rear, and disc brakes. Also apparently a high tensile frame and fork.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yeah, already got one, used, in good condition.
I think the rear fork will do just fine with 12" motor-wheel. I've seen several successful projects done with this kind of scooter.

s1y said:
Problem is the opening at the rear is 90 mm only, and as far as I can see, motors start from 100 mm.
IIRC, Grin Tech has carried some 90mm motors for folding bike wheels. But you'd have to lace it into your own wheel, or make a bolt-on rim for it.

amberwolf said:
Exactly what it sounds like--a rim that bolts onto the motor, instead of lacing to it with spokes.

Could you maybe find a link or a picture of such thing? I couldn't find it in Google by this name.

I'm considering this kit for my project. Could you guys give your thoughts on it?... thanks
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/16-16-inch-brushless-electric-wheel_60688315189.html?spm=a2700.8443308.0.0.28eb3e5fYHG4yK

Back