Electric scooter Overheating Issue

luckyboy

1 µW
HI Guys,great forum love it :) learned alot..
See guys im owner of this great electric scooter:

dualtron_raptor_deka.jpg

But during the summer time have big issues with high temperature on the rear motor..never measure it, but its damn hot,cannot hold the finger more than 2 secs...i dont want to screw up the motor..

Please guys give some ideas what can be done...was thinking to make some holes,but the motor is very close to the ground and will fill up with dust and everything...

When you mentioned the motor and putting holes in it.. these Dualtrons are duel hub motors?

So when you're touching the wheel the hub motor is really hot? It that why you mean?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yes dual motors..

So when you're touching the wheel the hub motor is really hot? It that why you mean?
Yes..was thinking for ferofluid,but scared to mess something

luckyboy said:
Yes dual motors..

Yes..was thinking for ferofluid,but scared to mess something
Have you contacted Minimotors and asked them if it's normal for the motors to run so hot? I imagine it's completely normal, especially in a hot climate. Also you could ask them what the maximum safe running temperature is.
You might be worrying over nothing? It's best to ask Minimotors direct as they will be able to give you more of a solid answer than anyone.

If the outside of the motor is that hot, the insides will be a lot hotter. Too hot and the winding insulation will fail or the magnets can get demagnetized. 60C is about as high as you want it to go.

Motor heating is mostly a function of motor current and air flow. Either you reduce the current (not so fun), or increase the air flow. Adding ferrofluid would probably help a lot if done properly. Another thing would be to try adding aluminum fins to the outside of the motor housing. I can't see how much clearance there is, but anything would help. Fins can be made from angle stock and glued on with silicone or epoxy.

Does the front motor get just as hot? Seems like it should be running the same current, but maybe gets more air.

fechter said:
If the outside of the motor is that hot, the insides will be a lot hotter. Too hot and the winding insulation will fail or the magnets can get demagnetized. 60C is about as high as you want it to go.

Motor heating is mostly a function of motor current and air flow. Either you reduce the current (not so fun), or increase the air flow. Adding ferrofluid would probably help a lot if done properly. Another thing would be to try adding aluminum fins to the outside of the motor housing. I can't see how much clearance there is, but anything would help. Fins can be made from angle stock and glued on with silicone or epoxy.

Does the front motor get just as hot? Seems like it should be running the same current, but maybe gets more air.
I'm confused how he can put fins on a wheel hub motor?
I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested to know as I'm trying to understand what you mean?

paul fortman said:
I don't mean to sound sarcastic, I'm genuinely interested to know as I'm trying to understand what you mean?

On the sides of the hub were the printing is, glue a bunch of little pieces of aluminum "L" angle. There isn't much clearance to between the side of the hub and the fork, but anything that increases the surface area will help..

When finished, it would look sort of like this:

fan impeller.jpg

fechter said:
paul fortman said:

On the sides of the hub were the printing is, glue a bunch of little pieces of aluminum "L" angle. There isn't much clearance to between the side of the hub and the fork, but anything that increases the surface area will help..

When finished, it would look sort of like this:

What glue would be used to ensure they would stand the vibration etc?

Back