Replacing the Dualtron EYE throttle

dwallersv

1 µW
I have a Dualtron Thunder with the EYE3 throttle / instrument display. I really really really don't like the index finger throttle, and find it unsafe (any time the scooter start to "get away" from you it causes the throttle to pull, making the problem worse). I'd prefer a thumb or twist-handle throttle.

So, before I reverse-engineer the thing myself, anyone know if there are existing third part throttle that are plug-and play? Or, what the electronic specs are of the throttle portion itself -- is it a simple potentiometer, or more complex digital setup?

I expect to keep the display, just replace the throttle lever function.

There's a few people in SG who have modified Dualtrons /w thumb throttle. I don't have any links handy, but I can intro you to someone who sells these parts. Go ahead and shoot me an email if you're interested: endlesssphere[at]alienrides.com

Personally I also dislike the ergonomics of the finger throttle, but have heard that it's better for stability if your thumb is firmly wrapped around the bar. Still on the fence on whether or not I should swap mine.

The finger trigger is simply a potentiometer, rerouting that to a thumb throttle should be a basic case of soldering lines between the existing dualtron throttle to that thumb as long as you know which goes where. The voltage range should be identical to avoid any rideability issues.

You can't get rid of the dualtron EYE display altogether however, as it's needed to change P settings.

I personally don't see the finger throttle to be a problem though, as all Dualtrons (short of the Raptor) have front and rear brakes. You'd have to move your hand pretty quickly to go from a thumb throttle to the front wheel brake or ride ham fisted, and that could be more of an annoyance than using your index finger with cruise control to combat fatigue.

Apologies doe digging up an old thread.
The finger throttle comes into a real problem when you converting to hydro brakes. (Must have on the Ultra)

The hydro master cylinder takes room away from where you can mount the EYE unit.

The mounting on the EYE unit forces you to bend your wrist / hand up to reach for the finger trigger.
If you position the finger trigger so your wrist is flat in the riding position, the brake lever is now too far down. (You’d have to bend your wrist down to reach for the brake lever.

Thumb throttle is perfect as your wrist is flat when you grab a handful of brakes.

Maybe it’s a small hand / short fingers problem, but I’m looking to convert.
On long rides my wrist gets pretty sore.

AlienRides said:
There's a few people in SG who have modified Dualtrons /w thumb throttle. I don't have any links handy, but I can intro you to someone who sells these parts. Go ahead and shoot me an email if you're interested: endlesssphere[at]alienrides.com

Personally I also dislike the ergonomics of the finger throttle, but have heard that it's better for stability if your thumb is firmly wrapped around the bar. Still on the fence on whether or not I should swap mine.
AlienRides said:

Did you intend to post something, other than just quoting someone from two years ago twice? ;)

If so, you may wish to try again. ;)

If not...why are you quoting them?

Here is a full tutorial on the procedure, in French but a lot of pictures and google is your friend for the rest
https://www.espritroue.fr/topic/8637-les-tutos-de-crypto-installer-un-accélérateur-de-pouce/?tab=comments#comment-183734

Back