Modified dual hub motor kick scooter

Ninja

1 µW
Hello everyone
I'm working on and making a modified kick scooter.
I'm going to take a Segway es2 and modify it so there's also a motor on the rear wheel. I have an extra original segway es2 front wheel motor that I intend to mount on the back.

The goal is to:
Could drive approx. 40-45 km / h
Have a good turg
could drive approx. a distance of approx. 40 kilometers

Materials I have that i wont to use:
2 pcs. original segway es 2 hub motors (one for front wheel and one for rear wheel)
2-4 pcs. original segway es2 battery in parrallel (Modified so there is room for them on frame)
Original Segway es2 gas
Segway est2 electronic breaks

What I need help for is:

What kind of ESC do I need?
Should I use 2 ESC or 1 ECS?
I want an ESC where I can control and backlight.
A display that I can put to the ESC

Is there anything I have forgotten and mention?

Ninja said:
Could drive approx. 40-45 km / h
I recommend wearing really good crash gear--anything that makes you stop in a hurry from that speed is going to hurt otherwise. ;)

Have a good turg
What is "turg"?

could drive approx. a distance of approx. 40 kilometers
At a guess, at the speeds you want, on a standup scooter, you'll use up to 20-25wh/mile. That makes around a 600Wh battery size needed for that range, not allowing for any wind, detours, hills, etc.

What kind of ESC do I need?
Depends on the kind of motor. If they are brushed (two wires), you need a brushed ESC. If brushless (three or eight wires), you need a brushless ESC.

Should I use 2 ESC or 1 ECS?
If brushed, you can use one, and either parallel or series the motors.

If brushless you have to use one for each motor.

I want an ESC where I can control and backlight.
A display that I can put to the ESC
Then you need to get it as a kit, ESC and display all in one. Otherwise you will have a hard time (or impossible) getting them to work together. Best if you get your throttles and ebrake levers from the same place for ease of wiring. Get ones that will fit one on each side of the handlebars so you can use one hand for each motor. Alternately you can wire one to control both ESCs if you prefer, but then you lose the ability to do some kinds of maneuvering via motor (such as braking with one while throttling with the other), sometimes useful for staying out of a collision or other crash once you practice doing it.

Original Segway es2 gas
Segway est2 electronic breaks
Dependign on how these function, they might not be compatible with the new ESCs, but if you are able and willing to determine their wiring pattern you can connect them up to find out. Then if they turn out to not work as expected, you can still use the ones that come with the new kits.

If you don't need to directly control the ESCs with the display, you can use the Cycle Analyst v3 from Grin Tech http://ebikes.ca to display voltage, current, estimated battery level, power usage, speed, etc., and it can also be configured to do system limiting in a number of ways if you need it to do that.

Back