I fear no man. But that ...thing. it scares me.( Thunder dual motor).

Thunderer

10 µW
I went for my second ride on my thunder today. throttle is super twitchy. Dual motor tries to throw you off at any power lvl. Even with slow start. Though I can't tell much of a difference with dual motor on.0-5. I even reduced max power to 50 percent. How do you guys ride this beast.

What is it exactly? Do you have a link or pictures of what you are afraid to ride?

Edit: NVM found it. Looks pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a throttle/controller issue. I recall some builds in third world countries where they used automotive relays, and the power was either "wide open throttle" or off...no in-between.

You state you used "slow start", but the minimum setting you used may still be way too coarse for the motor and wattage.

I didn't recall having severe an issue on first ride. I assumed it was because I was just to excited to notice.turns out. The throttle is still super sensitive. But the second ride was on a much colder day. And my thicker gloves wasn't allowing the dexterity to finely modulate throttle that's slow starts require. I have no idea what the settings do as I played with it some more. And couldn't tell the difference. I wish there was some way to tweek controller settings.. it's still a beast and scary powerful. But my third ride had smaller gloves and a lot less fear . Before anyone ask why I didn't just buy a less powerful one. I wanted the bigger tires better brakes and range. There is mutiple settings to control power and speed. So I thought it would be easy to make it do what I wanted. That true to a point. But instant torque is still instant torque so there is still a learning curve to overcome.

You need to change the P7 setting to 5 if you want a "dead" start. On P7-0 yes it can be too much torque and overbearing, but changing it to its weakest setting should make it more palatable for you (and increase your range as well).

(I own a Dualtron Spider).

Had to look it up:

I test drove a Luna Apocalypse dual motor scooter that is very similar, and it scared the crap out of me. Too much power (if that is possible).

One thing I found is the throttle response may be part of the problem. On my single motor scooter, the throttle had sort of a large "dead band" at the low end so you have to give quite a bit of throttle before it starts moving, which makes the throttle much more sensitive or touchy. By adding resistance to the throttle ground wire, I was able to get the throttle to start at a much lower spot, which makes the low end of the throttle much less sensitive and easier to control.

If a controller acts like an on/off switch, it cannot handle the eRPM of the motor and that is a typical response.

Now, the manufacturer could have designed or specified a controller with a faster processor and a higher khz control loop, but that would have cost like 5 bucks.. :lol:

You can try throttle modifications until you are blue in the face but the real cure is a controller that's fast enough to modulate the power porperly. There are some small RC car oriented FOC controllers out there that will likely do a much better job... VESC being one example.

I rode one of these a couple of weeks ago - I know what you mean with regards to throttle response, it's pretty wild/non-linear.

This thing would be SO much better with decent quality controllers with proper torque throttle. Dual Nucular 12fet would be ideal.

My other observation was that with the dual motors engaged the front motor induced some fairly gross feelings in the bars, I think from the front end being loaded and unloaded from the pull force on the front hub. Anything with foldable bars inevitably has some movement in the mechanism - this really accentuated it. Was only an issue with the front motor enabled (there's a switch on the bars to limit it to rear only)

Personally I would have much preferred just rear wheel drive with substantially more phase amps.

I'm getting used to it. But I think a different throttle would help a lot. Mabey a thumb throttle. The index finger is a weird choice to me.

Thunderer said:
I'm getting used to it. But I think a different throttle would help a lot. Mabey a thumb throttle. The index finger is a weird choice to me.
+1

One time I was showing my scooter to someone and accidentally thought the throttle trigger was a brake lever and grabbed it. I was standing next to the scooter and it just did a nice wheelie up the side of the wall. It does take a lot of getting used to. I modified mine to dial in the low throttle point and it's much better but I would still prefer a half grip throttle that I am more used to.

Back