Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Things that fly

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Postby fechter » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:20 am

600lbs of thrust would make for some pretty impressive climbing performance.

I noticed you can reverse the motor. That might be a handy feature when landing in a short space.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Postby litespeed » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:09 pm

600 lbs would let you prop hang.....little 3D flying would be fun.

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!
litespeed
100 kW
100 kW

Postby craneplaneguy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 am

290 lbs sounds much more realistic, and still plenty to get the job done for that light plane, very cool.
craneplaneguy
10 kW
10 kW

Postby Farfle » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:52 am

After pulling the CA data, It sounds like there is another 20% power being left on the table by an amperage limit I had forgotten to change.

I will be back at the hangar next week to do some more testing, and ill also have my temp guage wired in by then which will give me much better instrumentation than swapping between the thermocouples one at a time by hand with a fluke meter im my lap.
Last edited by Farfle on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech
Badass custom mofo outrunner 205x177mm 26kv
Peak power in : 420A at 87v
Peak power out: 34 Hp and 105ft/lb

Build to last...
"It will be assaulted by the elements, It will be ravaged by time and it will be destroyed by the user. BUT, if you Stick to the little rules: K.I.S.S., Overbuild everything, and test, review, revise, repeat. It will last"

Team Farfle blog!! http://www.farfleselectrics.blogspot.com
Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Ohbse » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Awesome! Love everything about it. How do your results compare to the power/thrust curves available from conventional ICE powerplants others use in this chassis?
Ohbse
10 kW
10 kW

Postby skeetab5780 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:18 am

I think about how scary it is to try the two wheeled inventions we create here on this forum, but you are taking It to a entire different level on this build! I cannot even imagine taking my hack work into the air for "testing"

It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck just thinking about it!

If I were you I'd bring a parachute! I will be over here with the popcorn waiting :)
Last edited by skeetab5780 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
skeetab5780
1 MW
1 MW

Postby craneplaneguy » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:28 am

skeetab5780 wrote:I think about how scary it is to try the two wheeled inventions we create here on this forum, but you are taking It to a entire different level on this build! I cannot even imagine taking my hack work into the air for "testing"

It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck just thinking about it!

If I were you I'd bring a parachute! I will be over here with the popcorn waiting :)

Not a pilot I take it? It's like anything else, safe enough if you know what you're doing. After 45 years of flying, I tend to take it for granted, and when I see a comment like yours I feel the need to kinda stand up for what we pilots do. We're not crazy risk takers or thrill seekers. Also, in the last 45 years I've known more acquaintances that have died in motor vehicle accidents then in their airplanes, getting in their car is the most dangerous thing most people do, but we do it a lot and take it for granted. Farles bird looks solid and well designed, he'll be fine. The great thing about light aircraft is the speeds involved are low enough to make a ground loop or botched landing a non event, injury wise.
craneplaneguy
10 kW
10 kW

Postby MrDude_1 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Not a pilot here... but he lost me at bicycles being scary. :lol:
Warning:This post is being read via light, a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer.
MrDude_1
10 kW
10 kW

Postby skeetab5780 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:30 pm

No im not a pilot haha and landing that may be safe if you have perfectly flat runway everywhere.. what about in the mountains or heavily wooded areas? You have to always be close to a safe zone

And i didnt say a bicycle was scary but apparently Mr dude aint scared of nothin’
skeetab5780
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Arlo1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 pm

skeetab5780 wrote:No im not a pilot haha and landing that may be safe if you have perfectly flat runway everywhere.. what about in the mountains or heavily wooded areas? You have to always be close to a safe zone

And i didnt say a bicycle was scary but apparently Mr dude aint scared of nothin’

If you land in the tree tops at low speed you will not be hurt.

I would much rather have to find a place to emergency land this thing then a 737....
Last edited by Arlo1 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
My Leaf motor controller build. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
HI power controller design. Game Changer
Arlo1
100 GW
100 GW

Postby fechter » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 pm

A ballistic parachute might be one idea, but they are heavy, expensive, and have a nasty tendency to not work.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"
fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Postby craneplaneguy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:11 pm

For sure, over unlandable terrain a bit more altitude is advisable if reliability of the power plant is in question. More altitude, coupled with a working knowledge of the sink rate and glide ratio (and winds aloft) of the aircraft usually give a viable option if the fan quits turning.

Flying in general is so damn much fun, any risk is well worth it, but sure, keeping that risk down as low as possible makes sense. Sitting home on the couch is dangerous too, and I do a fair bit of that, punctuating the couch sitting with epic flights keeps me sane, and did I say, IT'S GREAT FUN!
craneplaneguy
10 kW
10 kW

Postby MrDude_1 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:15 pm

skeetab5780 wrote:No im not a pilot haha and landing that may be safe if you have perfectly flat runway everywhere.. what about in the mountains or heavily wooded areas? You have to always be close to a safe zone

Not true. someday my daughter will be a teenager.
Warning:This post is being read via light, a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer.
MrDude_1
10 kW
10 kW

Postby riba2233 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Wow, impressive project!!

I've hosted my images on imgur.com for some time now, it's been very reliable.

I made a switch after imageshack went rogue, and I've also lost many images on forums. But photobucket has always been piece of shit, this isn't the first time images went missing.
My electric moped: http://www.evalbum.com/4966

Spot welders for sale!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=68865
riba2233
1 MW
1 MW

Postby Hillhater » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:35 pm

fechter wrote:A ballistic parachute might be one idea, but they are heavy, expensive, and have a nasty tendency to not work.

What about one of those inflateable Sumo suits, just in case ??
Sort of like a total personal airbag ! :shock:
The rebound bounce could be spectacular fun also ! :lol:
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca
Hillhater
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Farfle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:57 pm

High quality BRS's have an amazing track record, and this guy will be getting one. They are spendy, but worth it.

The system I am looking at is made by Ballistic Recovery Systems. They make systems from 600lbs up to 3700lbs.

Basically Its a rocket deployed parachute that has a 10 year lifespan and costs ~3000 dollars. They work big time, with 201 FAA recorded deployments at a 100% success rate.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/app ... r600SP.php

The little 3x8x13" softpack lives in its anchor panel, which has 6-8 strands of high-tensile webbing that attach to the landing gear bulkheads, main wing struts, rear cabin bulkhead and front cabin bulkhead, so you can have complete structural breakup and as long as you remain attached to the most of the cabin, you are good.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...
"It will be assaulted by the elements, It will be ravaged by time and it will be destroyed by the user. BUT, if you Stick to the little rules: K.I.S.S., Overbuild everything, and test, review, revise, repeat. It will last"

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Farfle wrote:High quality BRS's have an amazing track record, and this guy will be getting one. They are spendy, but worth it.

The system I am looking at is made by Ballistic Recovery Systems. They make systems from 600lbs up to 3700lbs.

Basically Its a rocket deployed parachute that has a 10 year lifespan and costs ~3000 dollars. They work big time, with 201 FAA recorded deployments at a 100% success rate.

The little 3x8x13" softpack lives in its anchor panel, which has 6-8 strands of high-tensile webbing that attach to the landing gear bulkheads, main wing struts, rear cabin bulkhead and front cabin bulkhead, so you can have complete structural breakup and as long as you remain attached to the most of the cabin, you are good.

18lbs?? Wear a few lbs body chute?
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Farfle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 pm

liveforphysics wrote:
Farfle wrote:High quality BRS's have an amazing track record, and this guy will be getting one. They are spendy, but worth it.

18lbs?? Wear a few lbs body chute?

Not super worried about the weight, as having one guves you a larger Part 103 weight budget, and I am still under max airframe weight by a hundred pounds. Plus, getting my arse out of this thing isnt exactly a speedy process just sitting on the ground :mrgreen:
Last edited by Farfle on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby liveforphysics » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Sounds good!
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.
liveforphysics
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Drunkskunk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Damn this is awesome. Seriously awesome.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38667
Drunkskunk
100 GW
100 GW

Postby Farfle » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Testing to see if google images as a host works:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q6heDVZJJqO0dcpD2

Last edited by Farfle on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total. View post history.
The race bike:
24s5p 50c nano tech

Build to last...

Farfle
10 MW
10 MW

Postby Harold in CR » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Works fine for me. You have a really neat project going on.
Thanks to Justin, the forum is open source and NON-commercialized.
Harold in CR
1 MW
1 MW

Previous

Return to Electric Aircraft