Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Things that fly
craneplaneguy
10 kW
10 kW

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by craneplaneguy » Dec 04, 2017 9:26 pm

All the reports I've heard on the stuff is positive. The only bad, those skilled in conventional aircraft coverings have to keep in mind it's different in a lot of ways. Not more difficult, just different then working with ceconite etc. Some don't like the partial see through of it, the air frame may be somewhat visible against a strong light, big deal, it's the lightest way to go, the no painting is a bonus. Great choice!

adapt2entropy
10 µW
10 µW

Post by adapt2entropy » Dec 10, 2017 12:21 am

Nice project Jackson. I've had 2 flights this fall on my powered hang glider with the zero drive train, but now it's too much like winter on this side of the 49th, and that gives me time to improve my data display and recording. Are you using the analogger to go with the CA? watch out, it's not rated for over 100v, and I proved that!
I only got 20 minutes flight time, used 50 Ah from 2 packs. This trike has wide tires and is more of a cruiser, seems to want 10kW to maintain level flight. My first e-trike was on a soaring wing (slower) and seemed to maintain with 7kW. I haven't played with prop settings yet. Nice reduction unit you built, I was able to get one from Thundergull.
Can't help but say, you look crunched in there in that narrow fuselage, so less drag, but then it's given away with the big tires .. if I had 4 batteries I won't care either! bubble doors could be an option some day down the road (that doesn't sound like airplane talk)
My last ice plane had pre-sewn dacron covering, and people called it the transparent plane if I flew overhead on a bright day. It was a crowd pleaser, but being an ultralight you don't get many positive remarks from the conventional pilots.
regards

craneplaneguy
10 kW
10 kW

Post by craneplaneguy » Dec 10, 2017 10:16 pm

As a former hang glider and ultralight pilot, though now a fixed wing "conventional" pilot for the last 28 years or so (though experimental/homebuilt category) I HATE to hear some spam can Cessna pilot denigrate flex wings of any type, and I always call them out on it! They may not know my past flying history,.....The real good fixed pilots, with lots of experience, DON'T bad mouth other pilots of any ilk, it's the guys trying to build themselves up. Yeah, Farfles, you have two strikes "against" you : it's an ultralight and it's electric! I can hear the jokes now "what are you going to do when the battery runs out?" The same thing sort of happens in the hoisting business, I operate a 30 ton crane, and SOME guys running a 100 ton or bigger laugh when I call myself a crane operator, the same type of dip stick who would look down on an ultralight as not a real aircraft! If it gets you high enough to kill you, you are for sure a real pilot! Back to your construction thread, rant over.