Self-launching sailplane conversion

Very nice. Hope it will get you up safely in the air soon. How will the prop be positioned correctly to be able to retract it back into the hull?

The electronic braking provides about 15lbs of force measured tangent to the rotor, I'm hoping this will be sufficient to prevent windmilling but I don't know until I do some flight testing. I have a mirror in the cockpit to verify the prop is vertical, I hope I can rotate the motor slowly enough to stop it there reliably.

AC5ME,

Sorry, I can't help with the actual conversion, but you seem to be on-track. I send best wishes. I have some input that you may want to consider.

For the flight testing, I am hoping that you can tow up in the usual sailplane manner, and then conduct your performance testing while airborne, with no need to test the self-launching aspect on a do-or-die basis at first.

Assuming you are familiar with "Ground Effect," I would suggest a very long runway for testing, maybe even with enough length to launch and land without turning, if necessary. Build up some excess airspeed in Ground Effect, before commencing the initial climb.

In case your prop-stopper does not work as expected, you may want the ability to lower the motor and prop almost down to the fuselage, and have it held there. This trick may allow the prop-stopper to operate as it should, if it did not do the job with the power pole upright. A mechanical prop-stopper (made from flexible plastic) may do the job for you, if needed, but use that option only if all else fails. Once the prop is stopped, you can lower the motor and prop completely.

Seems like you will be making heavy demands on the batteries, on a continuing basis. I would want a sailplane parachute on my back as a matter of routine, but that's just me.

Interesting project. Best wishes. Please keep us posted.

That is two seater...I recall Electra One boasted 3 kw for cruise..that is a single seater.

It has retractable main gear.

If someone made a plane using 2 kw for cruise that would be very affordable and lite weight.
I am working on a 2 KW possible cruise consumption system as we "speak". last 16 years I have sketched economical versions and now past 2 months on one of those suited for very economical cruise.

I could tag some key words....lifting fuselage, large propeller, pusher, good aspect ratio.

You have to be able to stop the propeller vertically and put it inside the fuselage automatically and as quickly as you can. Don't even try to take off without being able to do that. You will kill yourself. It's a cool project and I'm very impressed, but I'm telling you, you have to do it right. You better make sure that stowing away works every time. This thing, the moment is not powered up, will produce a lot of drag. You might even not be able to use a parachute 1. You might not get high enough. 2. You might hit prop while getting out. Please, please, please be careful.

Back