BMS Recommendation

GAMEISR1GGED

1 µW
Hello all,

I am working on a university project with my team to convert AC-5M glider to a hybrid platform. Looking for advice on the type of BMS we should use with our battery setup.

We are planning to use two type of battery pack (Li-ion and LiFePO4).

Li-ion (2 choices, we have not decided which one to pick at the moment)
Molicel Model INR-18650-P26A (15S7P) or INR-21700-P42A (15S7P)

LiFePO4
LithiumWerks ANR26650M1B
21S2P - pack

A preliminary diagram of our battery pack attached below (hand drawn - large img).
The diode on the right side is to stop the LiFePO4 from charging the Li-ion on the right in forward bias.

diagram.jpg

With two different pack types, you'll need two different BMSs of different types.

If you use a programmable BMS that can handle both types, you can use the same BMS type, but you'll still need two different ones.

What specific functions do you need the BMS to do for you?

Do you want different charge and discharge ports? Or one for both functions?

Also please note that any diode you use will have to be able to handle the full forward current of the entire system, not just that of the Li-on pack, in case the BMS of the LiFePO4 pack shuts off because the Li-ion pack will then be supplying the entire current.

It will also have to handle the full reverse voltage of the system at full charge (I'd at least double that to handle any EMF spikes that may ever come back from the motor system).

FWIW, the LiFePO4 is likely to be much heavier for the same energy and power capacity and capability vs the Li-ion. If it's possible, you'd likely be better off using only the Li-Ion because of weight given that it's an aircraft.

amberwolf said:
What specific functions do you need the BMS to do for you?

The BMS should be cell voltage and temperature monitor-only. Charging and balancing will be done externally.

The BMS will not be able to disconnect the pack, unless there's an extremely strong argument for why the BMS should be able to. This is an example of a BMS reportedly disconnecting a pack in order to save the battery from damage. The pilot was unable to make the last km to the airport by air, and wound up having to do it on foot. :D

For better or for worse, very little safety is automated in aviation. Usually the machine's job is to alert the pilot to the problem and let the pilot sort things out.

amberwolf said:
Do you want different charge and discharge ports? Or one for both functions?

The current hope is to slow charge through the balance connector, but getting a 15 cell charger could be a PITA.

The battery will have a long time between flights (think days, or maybe even weeks), so it's okay for things to be slow.

amberwolf said:
Also please note that any diode you use will have to be able to handle the full forward current of the entire system, not just that of the Li-on pack, in case the BMS of the LiFePO4 pack shuts off because the Li-ion pack will then be supplying the entire current.

It will also have to handle the full reverse voltage of the system at full charge (I'd at least double that to handle any EMF spikes that may ever come back from the motor system).

This is good thinking. Is the concern about the motor potentially going into regenerative breaking mode?

In that sense, the diode isn't that important. It's job is to make sure that the fully-charged LiFePo4 pack (21*3.6 = 75.6V) doesn't discharge into the fully-charged Li-ion pack (15*4.2 = 63V). This 12.6V differential disappears after the first several seconds of operation, as a LiFePo4 cell discharging at 20C drops to 3V very quickly.

If there's a voltage spike on the rail it's not a bad thing if energy flows back into the Li-ion. Although it might be a bad thing if that energy blows up the diode and the energy has no place left to go.

My first reaction, though, is that the LiFePo4 pack will absorb any spike and thus the diode could only see high reverse bias voltages if the LiFePo4 pack is disconnected (blown fuse?) AND there's a voltage spike. Which should never happen because if the LiFePo4 fuse blows the pilot should immediately shut down the motor as something clearly is not copacetic.

amberwolf said:
FWIW, the LiFePO4 is likely to be much heavier for the same energy and power capacity and capability vs the Li-ion. If it's possible, you'd likely be better off using only the Li-Ion because of weight given that it's an aircraft.

This is only true for specific energy density. For specific power density, the LiFePo4 outperforms Li-ion by a substantial margin. See https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=110570#p1628743 for the genesis of this project. The simulation shows that a hybrid pack is substantially lighter for the same 500 meter target launch height. How much lighter remains to be seen since there is some duplication of parts, such as the BMS, and some new parts, such as the diode. It could be that it's a wash, we'll know when we get there!

amberwolf said:
With two different pack types, you'll need two different BMSs of different types.

If you use a programmable BMS that can handle both types, you can use the same BMS type, but you'll still need two different ones.

Thank you for the feedback, we were wondering about whether or not one BMS is needed for each pack.

Based on kubark response, we are looking to have specific flight characteristics for the glider which why LiFePO4 is part of the implementation.

kubark42 said:
The BMS should be cell voltage and temperature monitor-only. Charging and balancing will be done externally. <snip>

For better or for worse, very little safety is automated in aviation. Usually the machine's job is to alert the pilot to the problem and let the pilot sort things out.
Makes sense. There have certainly been plenty of (fatal and non) problems with safety reactions that *were* actually automated, especially when the pilots weren't aware of (or properly trained to react to) them. :(

The current hope is to slow charge through the balance connector, but getting a 15 cell charger could be a PITA.
If you really want to do that, your best bet is to get individual chargers for each cell group. You will need different voltage units for each chemistry, and you will also need a different number of them for each chemistry, as you will have a different number of series cells for each pack to get the same operational-level voltage from them.

Don't get cheap ones, because they won't likely have much (if anything) in the way of safety features.

Alternately you can design and build such a system, using an MCU of some type (Nano, etc) for each "single cell group" charger, that monitors the cell voltage and the charge current and terminates charge under whatever conditions you deem appropriate. If each MCU and charger PSU are electrically separate from each other, then it simplifies design quite a bit. The only thing you have to ensure is that the AC side of all power supplies in the system is completely electrically isolated from the DC side of each. If that is done, then it doesn't even matter which PSU/MCU unit is connected to which cell group, as long as it is setup for the right chemistry.

If you prefer to use existing "RC" chargers (the only multicell chargers I have seen myself), and can't find one with enough cell outputs, then you just need to make sure the ones you do use are powered by completely independent, completely isolated, external power supplies.

If you are charging from the balance leads only, and never the mains, this works fine, but you do have to make sure the chargers themselves actually *do* charge thru those leads. Some require the main leads to be hooked up too. For those, you'd have to make sure those leads are included in your wiring harness.

This is good thinking. Is the concern about the motor potentially going into regenerative breaking mode?
It is really about EMF and RF spikes that can come back thru the battery line, from any cause. Capacitors in the controller are intended to reduce this, but they don't always stop them, depending on usage and system design and controller design. It's one thing that can even blow up cheap controllers (probably not the kind you'll be using) like those typically found in ebikes and scooters and cheap motorcycles, because they often use FETs and other parts that can *barely* handle the battery voltage the controller is "rated" to run at. :(

If you don't have any electronics (BMS FETs, etc) between controller and battery, then there's no worry about those, but the diode's reverse voltage spec must be higher than any spike it might see, or else the diode may fail. If it fails open, it means you don't have any capacity or current available from the pack it is in series with. If it fails shorted, it means you have no protection against current flow from the higher voltage pack into the lower one.

If you're not worried about the latter situation, then you might as well leave the diode out to prevent the former. ;)

If there's a voltage spike on the rail it's not a bad thing if energy flows back into the Li-ion. Although it might be a bad thing if that energy blows up the diode and the energy has no place left to go.
If you have a diode in series with the Li=Ion, it cannot flow into the LI-Ion, as the diode blocks it.

My first reaction, though, is that the LiFePo4 pack will absorb any spike and thus the diode could only see high reverse bias voltages if the LiFePo4 pack is disconnected (blown fuse?) AND there's a voltage spike. Which should never happen because if the LiFePo4 fuse blows the pilot should immediately shut down the motor as something clearly is not copacetic.
Most likely, that's the way it would work, since you have no electronics between the cells and the controller. (other than that diode). But it depends on the system internal equivalent resistances, capacitances, and inductances, and how they interact with the spike, it's rise and fall time, it's magnitude, etc. I don't know how to predict that, though you could test the system for it by inducing spikes in the finished setup (as long as the spikes don't exceed the controller's parts ratings).

Personally, I'd just use a diode that could handle twice the current and voltage I needed it to, as long as it wasn't many times the cost of one that was just barely adequate. :) (or many times the size and weight, for this application) But I'm not an engineer--just an experienced technical "hack" that is tired of fixing stuff that blew up because it was built of too-low-rated parts. ;)

amberwolf said:

Question for BMS with specific series compatibility, is there any recommend to get around that limitation?

For example BMS with 16 - 17S, I assume we can make a custom battery pack up to 16 - 17 series but what if we needed something between 20 - 30S and there's not many BMS support for it. How would you recommend alternative?
https://www.amazon.com/DALY-Battery-Management-Protection-Balance/dp/B0876YFZWM

I noticed this is an issue for 21700 form battery and possible LiFePO4 with limited compatibility.

Also any recommendation for programmable BMS?

GAMEISR1GGED said:
Question for BMS with specific series compatibility, is there any recommend to get around that limitation?
Not sure what you mean.

If you mean that the two different chemistries can't be run by a single BMS, then no, no way around that.

If you mean a single BMS type that when using two of them separately, can handle different numbers of series cells on each one, then as long as the BMS is one that doesn't have to have all cell leads connected to work, and can be setup to "know" how many should be connected (so it will still fault if one comes loose), then sure.

If you mean something else, I don't know.

For example BMS with 16 - 17S, I assume we can make a custom battery pack up to 16 - 17 series but what if we needed something between 20 - 30S and there's not many BMS support for it. How would you recommend alternative?
https://www.amazon.com/DALY-Battery-Management-Protection-Balance/dp/B0876YFZWM

I noticed this is an issue for 21700 form battery and possible LiFePO4 with limited compatibility.
Regarding 21700 vs other format cells, that doesn't really have anything directly to do with BMS compatibility. Chemistry does, because voltages for final charge, balancing, empty level, etc., are different for different chemistries, so you have to pick one that is either programmable for your specific chemistry or else is hardware-designed for it.

So as long as you can find one that does the right number of series cells, and is for your chemistry, that should be the totality of "compatibility", since you are only monitoring and balancing.

BTW, since you aren't using the BMS to manage input or output, you can use multiple BMSs to monitor and balance a single pack, just as you could use multiple RC-type chargers for the same purpose. As long as there are no interconnects between the BMSs that bridge cells, (so no common grounds, etc, they are electrically isolated from each other), then if you had a 30s pack you could use a 15s BMS on the most negative half, and another separate 15s BMS on the most positive half. Etc.

If you have to communicate with those BMSs somehow, like if they ahve a USB or serial port, you can't electrically tie any part of those connections together. You would have to use some form of optoisolator for all data lines, and never tie any grounds/etc together. Otherwise you short across all the cells between the ground of the most positive and the ground of the most negative, and bad things happen. ;)

Also any recommendation for programmable BMS?
I don't know currently available stuff, so someone else will have to step in for that.

Back