FlyNano E 200

etard

100 kW
I want one!

Not to keen on the prop in front of your face style though...

http://www.gizmag.com/flynano-microlight-aircraft/18411/picture/133137/

flynano-microlight-aircraft.jpg

flynano-microlight-aircraft-3.jpg

flynano-microlight-aircraft-2.jpg

Hey, you think they use nanotech lipo? :mrgreen:

Reminds me of a Romulan Warbird, with Bono hands-free 8)
Cloaked, KF

I would rather that I could have a delta trike, very low drag shell, with the box wing design. Would it not be great to have folding wings, drive to a small airport, unfold the wings, fly around, land, fold up the wings and drive home. I believe that a front wheel drive delta trike design would get you up to speed, then turn up the EDF on either side and rotate the aircraft. Now you are not trying to get the aircraft up to speed with the EDF alone. I see this happening very soon, now that the flynano has been shown. It will fly. There is a lot of engineering behind the box wind design that is very very positive for this type of ultralight. It would be nice if Langley would return phone calls about some of this technology they have been involved with.
kernkad

It only needs 10kw to cruise, That is good cause it looks like it will only be capable of 13.5kw, Isnt it hard to take off in water?? Hydrodynamic drag they call it.They might also give it a 20kw system which sounds more reasonable to take off in water.

Hmmm. Found their YouTube channel and not one video of it in flight. Heaps of them towing it around a lake, and one tiny clip of a scale model in flight.

So still a way to go by the looks of it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFlyNano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BZxOmQppw4
[youtube]6BZxOmQppw4[/youtube]

http://flynano.blogspot.ca/
The first airborne testflights of the FlyNano electric proto has been done. Some lucky ones of you saw already the latest testflight video that was visible over the Finnish night. Here is the new video with some still shots too. Now we will continue to work on further development. Many thanks for your support and patience. We'll be back with more flights as soon as possible.

Date and time: June 11, 2012 at 20:09
Location: Lake Hepari, Kirkkonummi Finland/ 60.24568, 24.39839
Pilot: Pekka Kauppinen

I see it taking off, but I don't see much evidence that it is able to fly any distance out of ground effect. Well, an electric WIG would be fun, and possibly not not need a great deal of pilot skill, but it would be limited.

JennyB said:
I see it taking off, but I don't see much evidence that it is able to fly any distance out of ground effect. Well, an electric WIG would be fun, and possibly not not need a great deal of pilot skill, but it would be limited.

My thoughts too. TBH, much as I'd like it not to be, it does seem to be yet another case where artistic design and graphics dominates over common sense and good aerodynamic design. There is a very large mountain of evidence that shows that there are two factors that totally dominate aircraft power requirements, wing loading and low drag. Small wings are hopeless, in fact the worst possible thing you can have when you're pushed for power. The same goes for speed, power is pretty much directly proportional to the cube of airspeed, so small wings = high speed (to get the required lift) = high power. Having an open cockpit, with no attempt to fair in the pilot also increases the power demand pretty dramatically.

As someone who's designed a light aircraft, built and flown a few over the years, and who has a seaplane rating on his licence, I can say with absolute certainty that seaplanes, or just ultralights on floats, need far more power than their equivalent land plane versions, both to get up on the step to take off and to unstick from still water. The latter problem even makes big float planes a struggle at times, there's a technique you use to get the things to unstick by rocking the wings to ease one float of the water, so reducing the drag and allowing you to get the other one off. Ultralights on floats are great fun, probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on, but they are far from being efficient aircraft. On the other hand, slow ultralights on wheels are probably about the lowest powered form of flight (other than PPGs and powered hang gliders) possible.

Hehe... 6+ years later, Fly Nano Oy from Helsinki still happening ... crazy Fins. :lol: :
http://flynano.com/

fn_top_varjoton.png

Puhu suomea?
[youtube]AsQMy8iDStI[/youtube]

[youtube]rdRtWVssdNA[/youtube]

Pass....looks like a ground effect machine, nothing wrong with that but a bit more wing and power and you could have a real aircraft. That box wing, like the old biwings, is a good way to get enough square feet of wing while keeping the span down, I do like that. Prop in the face? I'm used to that....

^^ Hehe... I see they're now "in production". :) In the early daze of the horseless carriage ("car") `twas the "wealthy" watt bought in first. And somewhere on their videos I recall them noting the size of their market as equal to the number of millionaires in Europe. :mrgreen: Likewise, the new electric bikes just announced by Vanguard out of NYC will also be priced "spendy" I suspect... :wink:

EDIT: ... and like the "modern" electric bikes, one attraction might be not needing any license or insurance. :wink: (<- extra wink]

Back