Tiberius checking in

Tiberius

10 kW
Hello everyone,

I haven't been on ES for a while. Sorry about that but I just got snowed under with projects.

But even though I really did have too many projects on the go, along came one that I couldn't say no to. I was recruited onto one of the teams for this
http://aerosociety.com/Events/Event-List/525/HPA-Icarus-Cup
the first mass competition for Human Powered Aircraft.

I'm one of the pilots for the Edgley team. Apparently, for the first few flights it is more important to have a pilot than an athlete - maybe we are more expendable. There were supposed to be six teams entering, but one failed to turn up. There is one aircraft here that is a proven design and has flown a number of times before, but for the rest of us, this is development and experimental work rather than a serious competition entry.
http://media.aerosociety.com/news/2...-icarus-cup-lasham-gliding-club-–-day-7/6303/

Now for the ES bit. We developed a problem with our chain drive. It likes to skip a tooth and the pilot can't apply full power. One of the students on the team flies RC models, so our HPA has grown this auxiliary thrust device.
P1030059r.jpg

With this in place, and me as the second motor, our aircraft did six runs this morning and managed to get airborne for a series of short hops along the main runway at Lasham.

Nick

Awesome job Nick!

That looks like loads of fun :).

Is there a build thread for the plane? Whats your stall speed?

Hi Luke,

Stall speed is about 15 mph. The usual routine for the HPAs is to have wing walkers on foot for the launch and then another pair on bicycles chase the aircraft along the runway to assist with the landing.

The designer, John Edgley of Optica fame, has been keeping this fairly quiet until the public unveiling so I doubt there is a build thread anywhere.

Did a couple more runs this morning and now we're waiting for the wrap up and prizegiving ceremony. We have scored a grand total of 0 points.

We are wondering if this if the first human electric hybrid aircraft. If so, then I'm the first person to crash one - touched down with a bit of side drift. Minor undercarriage damage to both pilot and machine. I have a bruised leg and the mainwheel got a puncture.

Nick

Glad to hear damage to both you & the plane was minor.

Would love to hear more details once they are released.

Any human powered flying vehicles are pretty exciting to me, even though there already have been some successes in the past.

voicecoils said:
Glad to hear damage to both you & the plane was minor. Would love to hear more details once they are released.
+1 :mrgreen:

Idea forming... Motor gliders, paramotors and the original Wright Flyer all have an output of about 8 kW. How far would it be possible to fly using only an Electrathon battery? :? :idea:

Back