electric plasma jet thrusters for space travel

gestalt

10 kW
there was no section for electric spacecraft so I put it here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2027072188/plasma-jet-electric-thrusters-for-spacecraft

c2c3360c9c7b918fe1ec5f38b958af99_large.jpg

so....

will it work on a bicycle?

Hopefully they won't encounter an asteroid, planet, rock, alien ship, or need to turn/brake quickly. Could be a problem. Agility will be slower than a turtle.

dnmun said:
you have to ride the ebike in a vacuum in order to use plasma for thrust.
wheres the problem?

Pretty cool.
Modern Hall thrusters are capable of propelling a spacecraft up to 50,000 meters per second (about 112,000 miles per hour (mph)). To put that into perspective, the space shuttle is capable of a top speed of around 18,000 mph. The tradeoff for this high top speed is low thrust (or low acceleration). Thrust is the force that the thruster applies to the spacecraft. Modern Hall thrusters can deliver up to 3 Newtons (0.7 pounds) of thrust, which is equivalent to the force you would feel by holding 54 U.S. quarters in your hand. To compensate for low thrust, the Hall thruster must be operated for a long time for the spacecraft to reach its top speed.

Me and my friend are fantasizing about metal vapor engine - there's big parabolic mirror, that concentrates energy of sun to the end of iron wire. The metal gasifies and will be accelerated by powerful electromagnets...
Will it work?

Back