HeliGraphix two RC copters lift a woman

dozentrio

10 kW
http://www.techspot.com/news/55872-viral-video-shows-two-rc-helicopters-lifting-a-woman-in-the-air.html

Have you guys seen this? I wonder why the 40 second limit. Seems like the batteries wouldn't be empty that quick? And why not use a higher discharge rating type battery?

impressive. she looks like 120lbs, the rings and rope is another 5-10lbs so about 65lbs of lift for each helicopter.

so a large quadcopter built with these blades and power should be able to do 250lbs and if you are talking parachute cord instead of rope they could do rescues from cliff faces or other totally inaccessible locations.

Lebowski said:
or you can build a personal helicopter you can wear as a backpack :D like inspector gadget

I was immediately thinking the same thing.

I want that pair of Heli's strapped to my back on a good rigid carbon frame, and the controller in my own hands. :)

They should have lifted her up and taken her very high over water, and then she could dive into the water. She wasn't lifted very high (for obvious reasons...)

Cool I just need enough juice for 8 miles over water. Maybe 3 copters with 2 being able to carry the load.

She almost had a "brush with death" near the end.

There. I said it. Back to regular scheduled programming... :lol:

or you can build a personal helicopter you can wear as a backpack

Well...what do you know!

lDDvfbv.gif

This video has been circulating for about a month already, and I thought for SURE someone was going to yell at me for reposting. You guys really hadn't seen it before? For shame, endless-sphere. SHAME! :p

Yes, it was also my first thought to build a strap on carbon fiber backpack rig with four motors (in case one dies or somesuch, you know for safety). Also if it can lift the 120lb girl, how many more batteries could it lift? :D

what RC style drone tech enables is cheap redundancy making safe flight possible

Each drive unit can be totally independent. They call this distributed propulsion in the military sector

strap on single person helicopters have been around a while but never safe

Well...what do you know!
Ultralight (backpack) helis are total death machines because they can't safely autorotate. If a regular helicopter has an engine out the blades are big enough that they can "glide" (well mostly sink like a rock) and flare out at the last moment for a soft landing. Jetpacks, ultralight helis, and anything that doesn't have any glide has a death zone between 20ft and 200ft off the ground. I say 200 feet because a pilot who is ready and not scared out of his wits can just barely get his reserve parachute deployed and opened in a 200 ft freefall. Most paragliding textbooks say 500ft (Art of Paragliding).

Check out Trek Aero's Springtail.
http://www.trekaero.com/Trek_VTOL_Springtail_Vehicles.htm

Springtail EFV-4B Preliminary Specifications and Performance

Overview

Our next model for flight testing, the Springtail EFV-4B is a fourth generation single engine powered-lift (VTOL) personal air vehicle (PAV), which uses the core technology developed on earlier models. EFV-4B has significant enhancements over the "A" model, including redesigned fans and variable pitch blades. Upon future funding, this aircraft will be employed for flight envelope expansion and capabilities testing.

Springtail Exoskeleton Flying Vehicle (EFV-4B)

Engine:
Type One 118 hp Rotary Engine

Specifications:
Height 8.3 feet (2.5 meters)
Width (duct assembly) 9.7 feet (3.0 meters)
Width (landing gear) 3.5 feet (1.1 meters)
Depth (front to rear) 5.3 feet (1.6 meters)
Empty Weight 375 pounds (170 kilograms)
Normal Loaded Weight 622 pounds (282 kilograms)
Maximum Takeoff Weight 834 pounds (378 kilograms)
Maximum Payload (with full fuel) 358 pounds (162 kilograms)
Fuel Capacity 12.3 gallons (46.6 liters)

Performance:
Maximum Speed 113 mph (182 km/h)
Cruising Speed 94 mph (151 km/h)
Loiter Speed 64 mph (103 km/h)
Hover Ceiling 11,400 feet (3,475 meters)
Range 184 miles (296 kilometers)
Endurance 2.2+ hours
Rate of Climb 5,500 feet/minute (1,524 meters/minute)

There's no way two electric r/c helis can lift a woman. It has to be fake.
Those aren't bigger than a normal heli either.
I have a gas heli and its supposed to have the same power as an electric heli of its size.
No way it could lift 60 lbs..

FAKE

Gloop said:
There's no way two electric r/c helis can lift a woman. It has to be fake.
Those aren't bigger than a normal heli either.
I have a gas heli and its supposed to have the same power as an electric heli of its size.
No way it could lift 60 lbs..

FAKE

A songle one did over 70lbs so i say YES :wink:

[youtube]A-PigXQWChs[/youtube]

Doc

Back