Electric Paramotor Controller Help

cejkabrad

1 mW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeyAyiL8OCM

I am working on this Electric Paramotor Project (just like the video above) and have just about everything figured out except how to wire the controller. I’m have problems converting my servo tester to the trigger style potentiometer. I also would like to have an Digital display showing current voltage. I am currently working with the following parts:

https://e-glide.com/electric-skateboard-store/electric-skateboard-parts/remote-guns
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__67770__HobbyKing_8482_Servo_Tester_AR_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=servo tester
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22494__Turnigy_3A_UBEC_with_Low_Voltage_Buzzer.html

Connected everything except the Trigger Style Potentiometer from the E-glide remote-gun. Tested it on a RC servo and worked flawlessly. So removed the Potentiometer from the servo tester and soldiered in the Trigger Style Potentiometer and went to test it on the same RC servo and on an ESC like it will be used in flight and got nothing. I know my soldering isn't the greatest but I know others that are having the same issue as me so I do not think it is that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought about going wireless and that is a possibility but I would prefer to stick with wired to avoid any possibility of interference. Also any thoughts on how to get a Digital reading of voltage on the controller (in the youtube video at about 30sec) and what parts I would need for that?

Thanks you.

cejkabrad said:
So removed the Potentiometer from the servo tester and soldiered in the Trigger Style Potentiometer and went to test it on the same RC servo and on an ESC like it will be used in flight and got nothing. I know my soldering isn't the greatest but I know others that are having the same issue as me so I do not think it is that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought about going wireless and that is a possibility but I would prefer to stick with wired to avoid any possibility of interference. Also any thoughts on how to get a Digital reading of voltage on the controller (in the youtube video at about 30sec) and what parts I would need for that?

Glad to see another PPG enthusiast on here. What kind of paramotor and wing do you currently fly?

As far getting the controller to work. I definitely think you are on the right track. Sticking with a wired connection is definitely smart. I have had my eboard wii-nunchuck connection go out before (wiiceiver) and it was not cool when I was cruising along at 15-18mph on the ground, it would be very dangerous during a launch or landing to lose throttle control. You need to measure the voltage that your modified controller is now outputting between the sense wire and ground. It is possible there is an extra component in the circuit that you did not recognize or that you have a high resistance connection.

To get a digital voltage reading you are going to need to buy a voltmeter and run it to the pack. Do you have much experience with LiPo batteries?

I currently Fly a Gas powered Blackhawk 125 with a Edge-25 glider. I am fairly new to the sport. I liked the idea of practicing launches and landings with much smaller and lighter electric paramotor. And much less expensive to repair if something goes wrong.

I bought a home built Electric paramotor late last year and was my winter project that I failed to complete and now that it is nice out here I am anxious to get it in the air. There are pictures and more details on the Paramotor in some of my other Posts.

So when I received the motor is came with a controller that was modified from the E-glide pistol/trigger style Electric skateboard controller. Soldiered in was an RC servo tester. The controller looked a little rough and it was well used. Some of the wires had come loose so I attempted to recreate the exact same setup but with new parts. Tested it on an RC Airplane and It did not work. So when looking at the Potentiometer I am not sure what side is the ground and what is the Positive and also not sure how the corresponds to where they need to be soldiered into the Servo tester (where I had removed the Potentiometer). Once I removed the Pot from the servo tester the light would no longer come on when power applied. No sure if I damaged it in some way but I hooked it up based on the original controller and it didn't work. So I tried the old servo tester because the light still comes and got the trigger style Pot to work thru the servo tester to control a servo but when applied to the ESC it will not control the motor.

The pot in the original pistol style controller has B20K on it. And Measured at about 19.5 ohms. The pot that came on the new Pistol style controller I can't see any label and measures at about 4.95 ohms so I am guessing its a B5K. Not sure if that might have something to do with it.

I am new to this so if you could explain what I am trying to measure in better detail that would be great.

What type of volt meter and how would I hook it in?

I am currently running 8 x 6 cell 22.2v 5000mah lipo batteries setup to create a 44.4V 20ah pack.

Have you read through the servo tester thread? They can be finicky. Some times your esc won't recognize the throttle unless you have the potentiometer sending out the correct signal. You need to turn it until the motor beeps.

Hey, great project.

I've also been looking at something similar. Even went out and did a motor endorsement in preparation.

Anyway. Have a look at the following youtube link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sIVpOLYoqg

The real gold is in the comments. Reider (author), really lifts the skirt and shows you the muff of his findings.
KV's of motors, prop speeds and sizes, amp draws and some useful links (all hairy questions when specking out this project).

Love to see it running...
post updates...

Back