Please no questions over PM.
I want to help as many people as possible so we need to do it on the open forum.
In the last week or three I committed to several large and complex non-paying efforts.
* A new LTC based BMS that scales including power switching, balancing, and hooks to expand out to Android apps.
* Reverse engineering the Sevcon Hardware design with emphasis on being able to repair broken units in the field.
* A Sevcon support thread to help people get around the most common bullchit issues which slow them down.
* An Electric boat effort that is currently at "trolling motor status" but is going to end up as 75-7 + Sevcon Gen 4 status
I am going to pull all of those on my free time.
I have spent the last few years re-aligning my life. I went through a gnarly divorce, worked crazy startup companies, started a contracting business, ... I trained for over a year and started body-boarding insane waves next to pro surfers on huge days. I almost died like 30 times learning how to drop into 20' waves with fiberglass missiles (surf boards with razor sharp fins) bobbing all around me, guys who HATE me (surfers hate boogie boardiers...), and a relentless ocean that breaks on a reef then into the rocks. I was jumping off a cliff at night into double overheat waves that I could barely see to get practice when it was not crowded. Hardcore shit that gives a man perspective. Thats no bullshit or exaggeration. I have pictures and witnesses who will attest that I drop in on the biggest days where you HAVE to catch your wave or get pounded against the reef and drown.
Now - that said...
I am here to do fun stuff, keep busy, help out...
I am going to deliver on my promises.
In my personal life I am struggling with cash-flow issues. I make a ton, it gets spent. I go some time between contracts... get hella broke. I have major expenses revolving around divorce lawyers, parenting my son who now spends half his time 400 miles away (I book 12 flights a month, rent 4 cars a month, hotels, food on the road...) shit I have to do to raise my son.
So - I need steady money.
I applied at:
and a bunch of other companies like Zero
I am going to lock in for at least a couple years on steady income and do my contract work on the weekends or evenings... as I have ENDLESS energy and my mind never stops grinding... I am going to do it Elon Musk style and just bust out on 3+ things at once.
Yep - so...
This Hardware Decompile...
Its sitting on my Bench over at the spot I have been working. As soon as I have a minute I will identify hardware sections in this order:
1) The Precharge circuitry - Mosfets, Resistors, mosfet drivers, back to the chip, out to the pins. I will repair the Sevcon sent to me and return it to its owner.
2) Analog inputs - from the pin, protection diodes, signal conditioning, to the chip. We will ID the primary and secondary components, repair, and return to its owner (or keep it for a while for my boat)
3) Answer Questions - if you circle some part of the PCB I will map out what it does, voltages, current running, components values, optional replacement parts, test procedure, etc.
4) And whatever comes next.
I can reverse engineer anything simple like this. It just takes some prior knowledge, understanding of fundamentals, and some guess work. I only chose the Sevcon for this exercise because its what fell into my lap by an enthusiast who is trying to get his Motorcycle running and has had a hell of a go at it.
If Sevcon gets pissed about it they shouldn't. They have been in the market a long time and its still a total f'ing pain point for most people who are trying to promote their product. Its only a matter of time before Curtis or some other company figures out the market need and moves in. I like Sevcon - I want them to flourish. To flourish their stuff has to work. Currently it works for golf carts and some motorcycle applications... but its still a major pain in the ass. It would not take much work on their end to loosen up a bit and move into some emerging markets.
There is major vacuum in the Electric Flight arena right now. I am feeling it.. its gonna happen hell or high water. People want to use the Sevcon and it is almost reliable enough to do it. Last issue to address is how easily the controller locks up and faults out. That is non-compliant with any sort of high reliability application - requiring heavy, expensive, and complex redundancy to be built in.
People are doing it
I support them - its time to fly electric
I dont like flying small aircraft... so I will have my fun in a boat. Requirements are just the same... dont leave me stranded half way across the Monterrey Bay over some bullshit non-critical errors. If it aint on fire... I want the phases cranking out. Golf carts are soggy-sauce. Motorcycles must NEVER fault out at a critical time.
K - enough coffee blather... I am off to work.
Increasing battery voltage and controller current limit will result in a non linear experience