Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Things that fly
User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 12922
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by fechter » Oct 08 2017 10:20am

600lbs of thrust would make for some pretty impressive climbing performance.

I noticed you can reverse the motor. That might be a handy feature when landing in a short space.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

litespeed   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1273
Joined: Aug 11 2010 4:42pm
Location: St. Peters, Missouri

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by litespeed » Oct 08 2017 5:09pm

600 lbs would let you prop hang.....little 3D flying would be fun.

Tom
I'm married so you know I'm no stranger to pain!

craneplaneguy   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 758
Joined: Nov 27 2015 9:15am
Location: S.E. Idaho USA

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by craneplaneguy » Oct 09 2017 12:46am

290 lbs sounds much more realistic, and still plenty to get the job done for that light plane, very cool.

User avatar
Farfle   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1752
Joined: Jun 27 2010 10:42am
Location: Redmond OR

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Farfle » Oct 09 2017 1:52am

After pulling the CA data, It sounds like there is another 20% power being left on the table by an amperage limit I had forgotten to change.

I will be back at the hangar next week to do some more testing, and ill also have my temp guage wired in by then which will give me much better instrumentation than swapping between the thermocouples one at a time by hand with a fluke meter im my lap.
Test Review Revise Repeat

Ohbse   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 776
Joined: Dec 26 2013 5:15pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Ohbse » Oct 09 2017 5:01pm

Awesome! Love everything about it. How do your results compare to the power/thrust curves available from conventional ICE powerplants others use in this chassis?

User avatar
skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2127
Joined: Jun 15 2009 10:58pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by skeetab5780 » Oct 13 2017 10:18am

I think about how scary it is to try the two wheeled inventions we create here on this forum, but you are taking It to a entire different level on this build! I cannot even imagine taking my hack work into the air for "testing"

It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck just thinking about it!

If I were you I'd bring a parachute! I will be over here with the popcorn waiting :)

craneplaneguy   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 758
Joined: Nov 27 2015 9:15am
Location: S.E. Idaho USA

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by craneplaneguy » Oct 14 2017 11:28am

skeetab5780 wrote:I think about how scary it is to try the two wheeled inventions we create here on this forum, but you are taking It to a entire different level on this build! I cannot even imagine taking my hack work into the air for "testing"

It makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck just thinking about it!

If I were you I'd bring a parachute! I will be over here with the popcorn waiting :)

Not a pilot I take it? It's like anything else, safe enough if you know what you're doing. After 45 years of flying, I tend to take it for granted, and when I see a comment like yours I feel the need to kinda stand up for what we pilots do. We're not crazy risk takers or thrill seekers. Also, in the last 45 years I've known more acquaintances that have died in motor vehicle accidents then in their airplanes, getting in their car is the most dangerous thing most people do, but we do it a lot and take it for granted. Farles bird looks solid and well designed, he'll be fine. The great thing about light aircraft is the speeds involved are low enough to make a ground loop or botched landing a non event, injury wise.

User avatar
MrDude_1   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1015
Joined: Aug 17 2012 3:07pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by MrDude_1 » Oct 14 2017 8:58pm

Not a pilot here... but he lost me at bicycles being scary. :lol:
Warning:This post is being read via light, a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer.

User avatar
skeetab5780   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2127
Joined: Jun 15 2009 10:58pm
Location: MA
Contact:

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by skeetab5780 » Oct 16 2017 5:30pm

No im not a pilot haha and landing that may be safe if you have perfectly flat runway everywhere.. what about in the mountains or heavily wooded areas? You have to always be close to a safe zone

And i didnt say a bicycle was scary but apparently Mr dude aint scared of nothin’

User avatar
Arlo1   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 8116
Joined: Apr 26 2009 10:36pm
Location: Nanaimo
Contact:

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Arlo1 » Oct 16 2017 10:49pm

skeetab5780 wrote:No im not a pilot haha and landing that may be safe if you have perfectly flat runway everywhere.. what about in the mountains or heavily wooded areas? You have to always be close to a safe zone

And i didnt say a bicycle was scary but apparently Mr dude aint scared of nothin’
If you land in the tree tops at low speed you will not be hurt.

I would much rather have to find a place to emergency land this thing then a 737....
Last edited by Arlo1 on Oct 16 2017 11:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Leaf motor controller build. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 27#p963227
My YSR build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRo8r5g4NBg
RC and most types of Lithium batteries you MUST know your individual cell voltages charging and discharging.
Don't keep them were you cant afford smoke or fire!
Never above 4.2v never below 2.7v EVER!!!
Support me on Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/user/posts?u=6842045
http://www.undergroundelectrics.ca/

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 12922
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by fechter » Oct 16 2017 10:52pm

A ballistic parachute might be one idea, but they are heavy, expensive, and have a nasty tendency to not work.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

craneplaneguy   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 758
Joined: Nov 27 2015 9:15am
Location: S.E. Idaho USA

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by craneplaneguy » Oct 17 2017 8:11pm

For sure, over unlandable terrain a bit more altitude is advisable if reliability of the power plant is in question. More altitude, coupled with a working knowledge of the sink rate and glide ratio (and winds aloft) of the aircraft usually give a viable option if the fan quits turning.

Flying in general is so damn much fun, any risk is well worth it, but sure, keeping that risk down as low as possible makes sense. Sitting home on the couch is dangerous too, and I do a fair bit of that, punctuating the couch sitting with epic flights keeps me sane, and did I say, IT'S GREAT FUN!

User avatar
MrDude_1   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1015
Joined: Aug 17 2012 3:07pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by MrDude_1 » Oct 17 2017 10:15pm

skeetab5780 wrote:No im not a pilot haha and landing that may be safe if you have perfectly flat runway everywhere.. what about in the mountains or heavily wooded areas? You have to always be close to a safe zone

And i didnt say a bicycle was scary but apparently Mr dude aint scared of nothin’
Not true. someday my daughter will be a teenager.
Warning:This post is being read via light, a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer.

User avatar
riba2233   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1809
Joined: Jun 30 2013 10:23am
Location: Croatia

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by riba2233 » Oct 18 2017 1:51pm

Wow, impressive project!!

I've hosted my images on imgur.com for some time now, it's been very reliable.

I made a switch after imageshack went rogue, and I've also lost many images on forums. But photobucket has always been piece of shit, this isn't the first time images went missing.

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 9261
Joined: Aug 03 2010 10:33pm
Location: Sydney ..(Hilly part !) .. Australia/ Down under !

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Hillhater » Oct 18 2017 6:35pm

fechter wrote:A ballistic parachute might be one idea, but they are heavy, expensive, and have a nasty tendency to not work.
What about one of those inflateable Sumo suits, just in case ??
Sort of like a total personal airbag ! :shock:
The rebound bounce could be spectacular fun also ! :lol:
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

User avatar
Farfle   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1752
Joined: Jun 27 2010 10:42am
Location: Redmond OR

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Farfle » Oct 18 2017 6:57pm

High quality BRS's have an amazing track record, and this guy will be getting one. They are spendy, but worth it.

The system I am looking at is made by Ballistic Recovery Systems. They make systems from 600lbs up to 3700lbs.

Basically Its a rocket deployed parachute that has a 10 year lifespan and costs ~3000 dollars. They work big time, with 201 FAA recorded deployments at a 100% success rate.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/app ... r600SP.php

The little 3x8x13" softpack lives in its anchor panel, which has 6-8 strands of high-tensile webbing that attach to the landing gear bulkheads, main wing struts, rear cabin bulkhead and front cabin bulkhead, so you can have complete structural breakup and as long as you remain attached to the most of the cabin, you are good.
Test Review Revise Repeat

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 13952
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by liveforphysics » Oct 18 2017 9:01pm

Farfle wrote:High quality BRS's have an amazing track record, and this guy will be getting one. They are spendy, but worth it.

The system I am looking at is made by Ballistic Recovery Systems. They make systems from 600lbs up to 3700lbs.

Basically Its a rocket deployed parachute that has a 10 year lifespan and costs ~3000 dollars. They work big time, with 201 FAA recorded deployments at a 100% success rate.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/app ... r600SP.php

The little 3x8x13" softpack lives in its anchor panel, which has 6-8 strands of high-tensile webbing that attach to the landing gear bulkheads, main wing struts, rear cabin bulkhead and front cabin bulkhead, so you can have complete structural breakup and as long as you remain attached to the most of the cabin, you are good.

18lbs?? Wear a few lbs body chute?
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

User avatar
Farfle   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1752
Joined: Jun 27 2010 10:42am
Location: Redmond OR

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Farfle » Oct 18 2017 10:06pm

liveforphysics wrote:
Farfle wrote:High quality BRS's have an amazing track record, and this guy will be getting one. They are spendy, but worth it.

The system I am looking at is made by Ballistic Recovery Systems. They make systems from 600lbs up to 3700lbs.

Basically Its a rocket deployed parachute that has a 10 year lifespan and costs ~3000 dollars. They work big time, with 201 FAA recorded deployments at a 100% success rate.

http://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/app ... r600SP.php

The little 3x8x13" softpack lives in its anchor panel, which has 6-8 strands of high-tensile webbing that attach to the landing gear bulkheads, main wing struts, rear cabin bulkhead and front cabin bulkhead, so you can have complete structural breakup and as long as you remain attached to the most of the cabin, you are good.

18lbs?? Wear a few lbs body chute?
Not super worried about the weight, as having one guves you a larger Part 103 weight budget, and I am still under max airframe weight by a hundred pounds. Plus, getting my arse out of this thing isnt exactly a speedy process just sitting on the ground :mrgreen:
Test Review Revise Repeat

User avatar
liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 13952
Joined: Oct 29 2008 1:48am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by liveforphysics » Oct 18 2017 10:09pm

Sounds good!
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

User avatar
Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 6977
Joined: Apr 14 2007 11:37am
Location: Dallas, Texas. U.S.A.

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Drunkskunk » Oct 19 2017 2:15pm

Damn this is awesome. Seriously awesome.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

User avatar
Farfle   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1752
Joined: Jun 27 2010 10:42am
Location: Redmond OR

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Farfle » Oct 20 2017 3:18pm

Testing to see if google images as a host works:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/q6heDVZJJqO0dcpD2

Image
Test Review Revise Repeat

Harold in CR   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1627
Joined: Feb 01 2010 7:19pm
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Harold in CR » Oct 20 2017 5:39pm

Works fine for me. You have a really neat project going on.
Thanks to Justin, the forum is open source and NON-commercialized.

User avatar
Farfle   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1752
Joined: Jun 27 2010 10:42am
Location: Redmond OR

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Farfle » Dec 03 2017 9:41am

Making more progress!

Test Review Revise Repeat

craneplaneguy   10 kW

10 kW
Posts: 758
Joined: Nov 27 2015 9:15am
Location: S.E. Idaho USA

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by craneplaneguy » Dec 03 2017 6:15pm

Oratex for the covering? I couldn't tell by that quick shot of the roll. No paint or other coatings required, unlike virtually every other system out there. You save a ton of time plus don't need a paint booth. I've covered 5 aircraft, and all I can say about the process is anything to speed things up is worth looking into.

User avatar
Farfle   1 MW

1 MW
Posts: 1752
Joined: Jun 27 2010 10:42am
Location: Redmond OR

Re: Farfles Electric Ultralight.

Post by Farfle » Dec 03 2017 6:33pm

Yup! Oratex ul600 it is. Stuffs not cheap, but neither is time on a weekend project. I also hate painting, and dont have the space or equipment
Test Review Revise Repeat

Post Reply