Rolls-Royce world’s fastest all-electric aircraft

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Rolls-Royce presents the world’s fastest all-electric aircraft:
https://tech-papyrus.blogspot.com/2...x3bD_AuuAk_EbCsNAsrzaBTE3fwo_28jWOkSFNXWtOhZ8

banner-2200x766.jpg

8)

Given that Redbull airrace courses are under 2 minutes I think having that series go electric would be an awesome idea.

RallyX is already considering it since they are all sprint races.

It's wonderful to see a commitment to advancing electric flight.

Does sprinting to top speed take longer in a plane compared to a wheeled vehicle? I.e. is the burst of peak power required to be sustained for longer, leading to thermal problems with the battery and motor?

I ask because the targetted performance seems markedly less than some electric racing cars have, several in the 1000HP-1000kW region.

Flight performance is always dictated by (amoungst many other things)... Power and weight.
And in the case of electric aircraft, that weight is dictated by battery capacity/power ratios.
I suspect this RR design is a compromise on battery weight/discharge power, endurance, and capacity.
IE, they could have had a much more powerful drive, but the battery to support it would be disproportionately heavy.

It's interesting that they talk about how they've recruited a big experienced team for this internally important project, but the powerplant is just three YASA motors bolted together. I guess those things are hard to beat.

The must have somebody pretty smart helping them out with the battery on that one.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumb: :thumb:

"You're done, we used salary to buy an electric model plane that flies for minutes . . ."

" 1,400 jobs are being cut by engine maker Rolls-Royce as it continues to slash its workforce by 9,000.

The Derby-based company has been hit hard by the pandemic with a fall in demand for its aircraft engines.

The job losses are part of those the firm revealed in May, with more than 3,000 of those in the UK."

Stealth_Chopper said:
"You're done, we used salary to buy an electric model plane that flies for minutes . . ."
Heck, that's nothing. Think of the millions spent on drag racers that can't run at full power for more than five seconds. Think how many salaries that would pay!

Modular Reactor development?
Kinda' Like a new AUS nuclear submarine powerplant?
Your taxes at play.

Meanwhile reality:
VA WARN NOTICE
Notice Date: 12/16/2020
Impact Date: 03/05/2021
Employees Affected: 187

Company
Rolls-Royce North America
8800 Wells Station Road
Prince George, VA 23875

Type of Reduction
Closure
Central Region

Attachments

• BattleForBarnholdswick.jpeg
    BattleForBarnholdswick.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 1,386
Its easy to take potshots at the corporatocracy, as I do often. They make it easy by occasionally being evil.

That being said...

The "Covid economy" has caused a dip in spending worldwide. Corporations have been equipped to conduct meetings over the internet [*Zoom, etc] for a couple decades now, but depressed profits have cut into executive bonuses, so...they are actually using remote web-meetings more often.

People are flying less, the planes that are currently on-line are projected to last longer now. Airlines are canceling orders. Fewer planes are being made. Fewer plane engines are being made.

Pratt&Whitney plus Rolls-Royce are laying off workers, and moth-balling facilities.

So...let's just say you are an advisor to RR...what would you recommend they do to get their toe into an emerging market? Something that would generate a lot of free publicity, but not really cost that much? Something that plays to their strengths?

So...let's just say you are an advisor to RR...what would you recommend they do to get their toe into an emerging market? Something that would generate a lot of free publicity, but not really cost that much? Something that plays to their strengths?
1).. get those modular reactors commercial ASAP.......they could actually help all mankind !
2) .... prove conclusively if hydrogen can be run economically in modified gas turbines and aero engines.(unlikely !)

Isn't synthetic fuels about to appear, certainly the RAF are trialling it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/world-record-raf-flight-powered-by-synthetic-fuel

Zero Petroleum’s synthetic UL91 fuel is manufactured by extracting hydrogen from water and carbon from atmospheric carbon dioxide. Using energy generated from renewable sources like wind or solar, these are combined to create the synthetic fuel.
So they are using hydrogen and carbon to make a synthetic liquid fuel ....a “Hydrocarbon “ fuel ?
Any explanation as to how its combustion avoids CO2 or NOx formation ?
Synthetic “Bio” green aviation fuel has been available, ..and trialed commercially...for many years....its just not economical ...and still generates CO2 !

OK...here is the “science”. https://zeropetroleum.com/how-we-do-it/
Basicly it relies of CArbon Capture and Green Hydrogen, recombined to form a fuel..Avgas, diesel, petrol , etc
Using the fuel still generates CO2, but they consider it offset by the CCapture feature.
So, ..we can all continue running our ICE cars and trucks guilt free , on a fully sustainable fuel ! :shock:
.....pity about the cost i guess ?

Back