Seadoo Hull Conversion to Mini Electric Boat Project

Boats, Jet Skis, Kayaks etc., including hovercrafts
itsmetibbs
1 µW
1 µW

Seadoo Hull Conversion to Mini Electric Boat Project

Post by itsmetibbs » Oct 12, 2017 1:51 pm

I came across a free hull of a 1995 Seadoo SPX that came with the jet pump. I thought it would be a fun project to turn it into a mini boat that my kids can ride around in, so I chopped it up.

Since a seadoo 587 engine runs at about 6100 RPMs under normal conditions with the pump loaded, I figure if I can get half of that, it should be good for kids to put around in.

Right now, I've got 2 motors as options. A treadmill Motor that runs at 7099 rpms if I get 130v DC to it or a 36V DC motor that runs at 3600 RPMS.

I'm leaning toward the 36v motor, because it's bigger, and I assume it provides more torque. Plus, it will be easier to get 36v out of 3 12v batteries instead of trying to get 130v to the treadmill motor.

I'm still unsure about the type of controls I'll need, any thoughts on that from you would be helpful.

My next step is to get a coupler and try to fit the motor shaft onto the seadoo jet pump.

Here are the motors I'm looking at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VBzdQskZJJhV09RA2

Here's a video of us getting started on the project:

https://youtu.be/qdd1y3LqcGM

fechter
100 GW
100 GW

Re: Seadoo Hull Conversion to Mini Electric Boat Project

Post by fechter » Oct 12, 2017 2:31 pm

The 36v motor looks much better to me. I would run it at 48v.

Most standard golf cart controllers should work for the 36v motor. 60A is not that much, you may be able to find an even less expensive controller.
Search eBay or Amazon for Curtis or Alltrax golf cart controllers.

The 36v motor, if properly geared, would be about 3hp, so compared to the original gas engine, it will be very slow.
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

Voltron
100 kW
100 kW

Re: Seadoo Hull Conversion to Mini Electric Boat Project

Post by Voltron » Oct 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Kids and water and over 50 volts sounds dangerous electrocution wise... I'd stick with 48v or less.