Ekayak first project

Ekart

10 mW
Hi guys just wanted to show you my first "E" project 2-3 years ago I made up a transom and attached to my Kayak then added a 34lb thrust WaterSnake (shortened the shaft) 5 speed outboard motor. I use two 12v 18Ah batteries in parallel and this gives me a range of about 10km on the river at up to 8knots. I then added a frame as backrest and "Solar shade" above -to charge the batteries whilst in use and parked on the bank, and keeps my head out of the sun also. 2x25 watt fold up panels. I've since added internal cables and Anderson plugs for battery and motor connections along with waterproof panel to display Voltage and running Amps and USB plugs for phone. Recently added Port and Starboard lighting along with flexible "Allround" white light with gooseneck for fishing in the dark.

cheers! :lol:

Attachments

• Ekayak.jpeg
    Ekayak.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,748
That is rad.

View attachment 3

Coming from the gas ethos it does not take long to realize the benefits of going electric.

The noise
The vibration
The fumes
The unreliability

mk2-768x576.jpg

Getting out of the Lead Acid and into Lithium brings whole new levels of satisfaction

The weight
The flat power profile (lack of sag)
The predictability
The reliability

TylerPullBoat.jpg

I have put together various eWaterCraft and all of them centered around brushed 12V trolling motors.

I have run all of these at "over-voltage"
One of the best ways to do this is to use a standard (cheap) 60V golf cart controller. This can take any regular Ebike pack and give you the control needed.

Down around a quarter throttle you can run reliably... all day every day.

Goose the throttle. .. . and you can get the major thrust you need in a pinch. Watch out tho... I have been stranded at sea no fewer than 5 times. Smoke shooting out of wiring, brushes burning up, flat battery...

V2004-768x576.jpg

Good times.

-methods

Yes lithium will be the next step .. and I can also use on my eKart and ebike!! (Other sections in this endless-sphere forum). Lithium would be lighter to carry down to the waters edge also!

Thanks methods, just a fun project ... and very handy as I used to paddle up river and then the wind would pick up and nearly kill me to paddle into the headwind back to the car... if you don’t mind me asking ..where did you get your yellow battery packs from? Are they lithium , what voltage/current and what charger do you use? (I have an ebike and EKart on these forums also and looking to change from lead acid). Cheers! :lol:

Back