Water cooled system

SV_Mellow

1 µW
I'm entertaining the idea of building a water cooled electric propulsion system for a Cal 34 Sailboat.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/cal-34

Now I could just drop in a 10kw air cooled kit from thunderstruck motors, but I have a DC generator on board. So my thought was to the into the cooling system of the diesel and have a small 100 amp battery bank.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Okay, due to the overwhelming response from the community, I'm going to have to get down to specifics... I guess.

Does anyone have any experience with the montenergy me1616 motor? Mainly, how well will it function under air cooled conditions alone?

What's the water temp in your part of the world? You can use prettymuch any temperature of natural waterway to cool a motor and controller, but if you wanted to keep the battery cool you'd try to avoid temperate climates.

Several guys have uses ME motors on motorcycles to good effect, and unless you're racing they never hit their thermal limits. If the motor is purely for cruising in harbours etc then I reckon it will be up to the task.

Basically southern California ocean water. My inlet is about 4 feet under the surface.

Back