Shamrock, 25 foot sailboat electric conversion with an ebike hub motor

Boats, Jet Skis, Kayaks etc., including hovercrafts
justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Shamrock, 25 foot sailboat electric conversion with an ebike hub motor

Post by justin_le » Mar 31 2021 5:26am

PS, we finally finished editing the video from last fall showing the boat running at 72V earlier this week

I'll have pics and details to share soon with a new ASI BAC2000 motor controller installed that will let us run up to the 5000 watt power levels, and hope to do water tests on that in the week ahead!
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

cheapcookie   100 W

100 W

Post by cheapcookie » Apr 01 2021 4:30am

Thank you for your answer Justin all the best with the new shop.

Check this out, https://www.pogostructures.com/en/fiche ... -electric/

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Apr 01 2021 8:15pm

Oh nice, I like that they provide pretty meaningful consumption statistics. In this case it's a 1800kg boat and with enough motor power to get on a plane. Here's what I extrapolate for their wh/km consumption data as a function of boat speed:
Loxo 32 Stats.jpg
Loxo 32 Stats.jpg (29.61 KiB) Viewed 125 times
I managed to get our sailboat running at 5kW yesterday and it reached 11 kph, corresponding to 450 wh/km consumption.

I'm not sure how far most powerboat cruisers want to go on a trip but I think that even the 50kWhr battery here would limit the appeal. 80-100 kWhr seems a little more appropriate for cruising autonomy when you don't have a sail.
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

Voltron   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Voltron » Apr 02 2021 11:47am

Great progress! :thumb:

Just an fyi tho for those going down the eboat route, esp for a commercial project, ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) code doesn't like more than 50 volts without lots of special safety requirements.

And re. the low average around the world speed, that seems not unreasonable factoring in driving all night on battery, long stretches of headwinds and bad sea states out in open ocean, preserving the structure for the whole trip etc? It's meant to be mostly a tech demonstrator, so they really didn't want it to break halfway thru publicity-wise. I could def see trans ocean solar racing being a thing though!

Bullfrog   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Bullfrog » Apr 02 2021 2:05pm

Voltron wrote:
Apr 02 2021 11:47am
Great progress! :thumb:

Just an fyi tho for those going down the eboat route, esp for a commercial project, ABYC (American Boat and Yacht Council) code doesn't like more than 50 volts without lots of special safety requirements.

And re. the low average around the world speed, that seems not unreasonable factoring in driving all night on battery, long stretches of headwinds and bad sea states out in open ocean, preserving the structure for the whole trip etc? It's meant to be mostly a tech demonstrator, so they really didn't want it to break halfway thru publicity-wise. I could def see trans ocean solar racing being a thing though!
I believe it is 60v as opposed to 50v. You probably just missed the "6" and hit the "5" key I am guessing :D .

11.2.2 direct current (DC) electrical systems on boats operating at 60 volts nominal or less.