Electric catamaran

patrickza

1 kW
So I've recently become the happy owner of a small 4 ton 1976 British catamaran. It currently has twin diesels, one of which is in a bit of disrepair. Being a huge fan of electric motors I think this is the perfect opportunity to go electric, or rather hybrid considering I'm keeping one diesel.

Now the boat is currently shaft drive, so I either bolt a motor directly onto the shaft, or close up the holes and fit an electric outboard. I'm torn between the two options.

I'll be running a 48v280AH lifepo4 bank, with at least 1200w of solar for charging. I'll mostly use power very sparingly, long slow runs are where e-boats excel, so it won't often happen that I'm pushing more than 3kw into it.

In terms of power I was initially looking at the e-propulsion navy 6.0, but it seems to be much simpler if I just keep the shaft drive and put the motor inboard. I know quite a few boats are using the 10kW BLDC motor quite happily, though I've heard they get pretty hot. Also the RPM of the motor is much too high for a sailboat which needs a big slow spinning prop.

The solution I'm thinking of is instead of fitting a reduction drive along with the complications that come along with it, would be to rather order the 96v or 120v motor, and then run it at 48v. The lower kv of the high voltage motor will hopefully mean I still have all the torque I need, without trying to spin the prop too fast and overheating the motor.

Any flaws to my thinking here? What would you do?

why not connect the electric motor to the gear that is on the diesel youre taking out. if its a 2to1 ratio you can run the electric upto 3000 rpm with a prop speed of 1500 then you double the torque from 54nm to 108nm. i picked up the da-85 asynchronous motor from east gem. will do 3000 watt continuous with i think 7500watt max. no magnets in the motor, can run at high temperatures, working temp is 150 celsius. i should have it coupled to honda 25hp 4 stroke in 2 weeks for testing

http://eastgem.net/accessories.html

Will do of course. I'm still making decisions, and now I'm thinking the ePropulsion 6kw motor would be better again. Less holes under the waterline. Going to do some measurements for solar. 1200w can definitely fit, but it looks like 1600w is an option. More is always better of course.

Ultimately I'd like to be rid of all internal combustion on the boat, so a second electric on the other side would be perfect. I'd just have to make sure I have enough solar and batteries to do that safely. Maybe in that case a second 48v280ah pack for the second motor would give me enough juice.

Sail boat, they used to build them heavy back in the day before they knew how strong fibreglass really was.

Doesn't do too well close to the wind, but sails well downwind.

In the ‘70s/80s , i sailed a few cruising cats in Europe and UK. ....35’ Wharram, Iroquois, and others,..
... but none had inboard drives. Infact the Wharram had only oars for much of the time, and only a 2hp “seagul” outboard in later year !
Sailing from and onto port berths was character building :shock:

Back