Arc one eBoat

calab said:
$300k and only 5 hours of run time

For starters, the zero-emissions dayboat received a new 220 kWh battery pack that Lee says is three times larger than the 75 kWh battery found in the Tesla Model Y. This ensures seafarers will have enough juice for a full day on the water (approximately five hours) with no recharge needed. This, of course, depends on how you’re driving the boat.

With a boat you can use the battery as ballast if you place it on the bottom.

Think of a solar powered boat and it could make sense to slowly cruise the world.

What they are doing here is trying to compete directly with power boats that consume massive quantities of gasoline.

I was shocked to discover something like a Jet Ski can consume $50 of gas in a single run.

Water is very high resistance compared to air... so speed kills $$$ on water.

This is why you really should go for a Catamaran or Trimaran design.

SafeDiscDancing said:
Water is very high resistance compared to air... so speed kills $$$ on water.

This is why you really should go for a Catamaran or Trimaran design.

Note: That boat ( article) has zero mention of its actual length vs beam at the waterline. This is the only thing that matters when discussing speed vs power on a hull design.

We are currently building a 24v paddlewheel canoe with joystick steering. It is gonna be very efficient. We have some experience building boats.

220kWh must be a huge battery. That is what I think when I hear that. I mean, what if you are not cruising at 40 m/h the whole time? How far will you go at reasonable powers and speeds? How many wH/mile is that 500hp, five hour, for 220kWh?

Given the data we have:

44 kWh. Per hour. Every 40 miles, it used 44 kWh.

1.1kWh to move 1 mile at 40mph. About 4x a typical electric car consumption ~ 40mph, 3300lbs. 1100 wH per mile.

My ebike pack would go a mile. Lol.

Still a helluva lot cheaper than gasoline or diesel. Plus it is cleaner power.

DogDipstick said:
We are currently building a 24v paddlewheel canoe with joystick steering. It is gonna be very efficient. We have some experience building boats.

I might have just had a flash of genius....

Try to envision this idea.

Think of a paddle wheel first with simple flat plates for paddles. (the standard)

Now switch to cups. Okay so at first the cups LIFT the boat as they contact the water then as it exists the water it sucks the boat back down and LOWERS the boat while throwing water up into the air.

Here is the genius idea...

Begin to bend those cups so that they overlap each other in a sort of "V" shape stacked one upon the other.

Now those "V" shaped paddles channel water to make the boat go UPWARDS as the wheel spins forwards.

Water is channeled from both outside edges INWARDS and the boat UPWARDS.

The net effect is to skim over the top of the water being lifted by the action of the wheel.

Very little water should fly upwards out the back.

Herringbone-Gear.png

The optimal skew angle would have to be tested to see at what point you are trading lift for slip.

And the curves could be more rounded than this image.

Not only that but the curves could have a more cup like shape on the edges and more open shape as they went inwards.

So this would scoop water from the edges and channel it inwards and then act to lift the boat.

The outside edges should be nearly closed off if not completely blocked to prevent water going OUTWARDS.

SafeDiscDancing said:
Try to envision this idea.

We have built many custom
"Spider Paddlewheels."

Feathering paddlewheels: Five paddles in the water at any time, two or three out the water. Feathering action so as to not waste the power upon the lift stroke. Certainly.

We have crunched those numbers. For sure, being a steam engine builder. Golden age of powered water travel.

Google it, and you will see ours. We definatly got those feathering paddles.

We even built a Finch Steamboat once. Our model is in the John Fitch Steamboat Museum. Moves like a duck. Quack Quack.

The canoe is going to have normal paddles.

Here is the model of the Fitch boat. This is powered by a small hidden electrical motor, but was designed to accept a hobby grade steam engine.

https://craven-hall.org/fitch-steamboat-museum/

Attachments

• fitchboat.jpg
    fitchboat.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,313
DogDipstick said:
"Spider Paddlewheels."

I searched and did NOT find my idea using those terms.

Look again at what I'm suggesting because it is different to my knowledge.

Or show me an image where someone tried it.

The are NO MOVING PARTS in my idea.

Herringbone-Gear.png

In this image the top would roll forward to drive forward motion in water.

SafeDiscDancing said:
DogDipstick said:
"Spider Paddlewheels."

I searched and did NOT find my idea using those terms.

Or show me an image where someone tried it.

Herringbone paddlewheels been around for ever forever. Someone once thought they mayt be better. However, the feathering or Spider crank paddle wheel is much, much more efficient. Also is a normal straight paddle wheel.

Trust me. There is a reason they do what they do. No one ever reinvented the wheel. Its been done.

Feathering > 60%
Straight is 50-55%
Herringbone is 47-50%.

Attachments

• Safe1.jpg
    Safe1.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 1,280
  • safe2.jpg
    safe2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,280
Life span of expensive toy is until the battery needs replacing and junked in 15yrs time because battery is not sold anymore sorry

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

DogDipstick said:
Herringbone paddlewheels been around for ever forever. Someone once thought they mayt be better. However, the feathering or Spider crank paddle wheel is much, much more efficient. Also is a normal straight paddle wheel.

Trust me. There is a reason they do what they do. No one ever reinvented the wheel. Its been done.

Feathering > 60%
Straight is 50-55%
Herringbone is 47-50%.

The picture of a Herringbone paddlewheel is only partially what I was suggesting.

In the picture the paddles are open... water is not being trapped where it can generate lift.

file.php

Compare that to:

Herringbone-Gear.png

The idea is to channel water inwards and push the boat upwards... essentially floating over the water.

I'd like to see an example where they tried it "fully".

The idea would be to see if you could get a boat up to planing speeds.

And something even more bizzare would be something like a two or four wheel drive "boat" using this idea so that it could also be amphibious.

The essential question:

:?: "Can enough lift be generated to actually skim the surface of the water?"

I seem to recall seeing something like a corkscrew drive once... a military boat I think.

S9uJd.gif

Just for fun.

Attachments

• 585D89D5-DB3E-4AEB-911E-51E5DFD3D069.jpeg
    585D89D5-DB3E-4AEB-911E-51E5DFD3D069.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,063
  • 0EAAC7CB-8345-4427-9B2B-C1CB47341DDF.jpeg
    0EAAC7CB-8345-4427-9B2B-C1CB47341DDF.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,063
  • C6DA69F9-5DE4-45B3-B4FC-5E87EEBBDB20.jpeg
    C6DA69F9-5DE4-45B3-B4FC-5E87EEBBDB20.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,063
What would the re-sale-ability be on a boat like that?
How easy would it be to sell it?

DogDipstick said:
Note: That boat ( article) has zero mention of its actual length vs beam at the waterline. This is the only thing that matters when discussing speed vs power on a hull design.

We are currently building a 24v paddlewheel canoe with joystick steering. It is gonna be very efficient.

Paddlewheel? Verifiably not efficient. Canoe yes, paddlewheel no.

“Paddlewheel? Verifiably not efficient.“

Verifiably known as efficient when paddles are appropriately designed.

A Mississippi River resident, in The Hiawatha Valley.

Paddlewheel. Canoe. Reinvented.

Here she is getting the veneer over the paddleboxxes in Mahogony and the brass edging. I will post a pic once all the drive system is installed. It is gonna be cool.... It will maneuver like a skid steer. Pls dont mind the workshop's mess.

Attachments

• 277801514_10224685102208107_5351886742078691736_n.jpg
    277801514_10224685102208107_5351886742078691736_n.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,024
  • 274919660_10224493014846043_2929969328163172341_n.jpg
    274919660_10224493014846043_2929969328163172341_n.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 1,024
  • 278072707_10224685792585366_6804234319299375681_n.jpg
    278072707_10224685792585366_6804234319299375681_n.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 1,024
tomjasz said:
“Paddlewheel? Verifiably not efficient.“

Verifiably known as efficient when paddles are appropriately designed.

A Mississippi River resident, in The Hiawatha Valley.

Yeah, steam engines were considered efficient in those days too.

The only way paddlewheels approach the efficiency of screws is when their vanes articulate. That adds a degree of complexity that apparently nobody wants.

In my very humble opinion, the next breakthrough here will be when people start to add tracks to this system. Tracks like tanks and snowmobiles use but designed for water propulsion. I thought why can’t we make a paddle wheel that propels as fast on water as a similar wheel on land? Most of us here can give at least a few reasons. But change the wheel to a water paddle track and a lot changes. Just ask our military, they are reportedly getting 28mph on water with mammoth new amphibious craft with This type system! I would love to build a surfboard with a track system powered by a high speed scooter motor and light lipo batteries. Please don’t tell my wife. :)

DogDipstick said:
Paddlewheel. Canoe. Reinvented.

Here she is getting the veneer over the paddleboxxes in Mahogony and the brass edging. I will post a pic once all the drive system is installed. It is gonna be cool.... It will maneuver like a skid steer. Pls dont mind the workshop's mess.

Cool!

Back