LR Big Block - how hot is too hot?

builder7

100 µW
I have mounted an LR Big block to a small outboard motor drive train.
I am in a testing phase and the motor gets pretty hot, pretty quick at high throttle. I do not have a temperature reading yet, but the motor case is hot to the touch. If you leave your hand on the motor it will hurt.

Setup
LR Big block motor
Kelly KEB84600X controller - 6000w, peak current 230A constant 110a
running at 100 volts - 8 small SLAs fully charged

At slower speeds the heat seems ok, but when I go full throttle it gets pretty hot.
I have made no tweaks to the controller it is on default settings.
Any advice would be welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_3674.JPG
    IMG_3674.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 961
AFAIK Kelly controllers have to be setup for each motor, battery, throttle, etc that they are used with. At the least they would probably need to have the "hall angle identification" routine run, to be sure it is using correct phase timing for the hall sensor signals. It's a good idea to also set the HVC and LVC for your specific battery, and the throttle voltage range, etc.

If you don't have the cable or software, talk to Fany at Kelly to get the right stuff for your specific model. (there are also threads for this around here; there's a recent thread about making your own USB-serial cable for programming it using the Kelly software if you don't want to buy theirs).

If the no-load battery current of the system at full throttle (measured with your wattmeter or multimeter) is more than a couple of amps or so, this timing is probably wrong. (or there is a lot more load in the drivetrain than there should be for whatever reason)

Thank you that is helpful. I have the 232 connector for the controller, I just didn't try to hook it up yet. The bit about no load current draw is good to know. I can try that out right away.
I'll look for the other threads about Kelly controller tuning.
Thank you.

Amberwolf,
Thank you for your help. It took several rounds of experimenting and testing, but I think I may have my heat issue under control. I used my Kline clamp on amp meter and tried various combinations of motor wires looking for the one with the least draw and tried different settings through the software. My first integration of changes made it worse and the Blue, green, yellow motor wires got melty hot very fast under load. My latest test did not generate much heat. My undersized SLAs drain pretty quick so I am re-charging for another more aggressive test.
Thanks again for the idea to test current draw on the bench with different motor wire combinations. I had no idea it would that big of a difference in no load situations.

Back