New project

cmd

1 µW
Hello. I´m new to this forum and new to BLDC motors. :shock:

I´m beginning a new project and your help es wellcomed :)
I want to make a water tube for "move water". A DC motor with a propeller will be inside a tube for create a high water current (like a water pump) but it´s for test another things in water currents like swimmers.

I want to use 24v or 36v batteries (15ah or so) and in a maximum Volt with aprox 1400 rpm. I need about 1000 watts for move a lot of water.

I see a couple of big problems that I have not resolved yet

1- I don´t find any high watt low rpm BLDC motor. Perhaps a turnigy rewounded??
2- Heat will be a problem. Max burn time of 60 minutes.

Any help will be appreciated specially in the motor issue.

CMD

You could gear it down for lower rpms and higher Torque. Tougher to build into a waterproof tube though.

Trolling motor(s) would be the simplest solution for this application, but they all use brushed motors.

A motor from a drill, grinder, or saw might do the trick. But again, they are mostly brushed. I bet there's plenty of "broken" tools with good motors to be had for next-to-nothing, though.

For brushless motors, you want HIGH wind-count to get maximum efficiency at LOW rpms.

Are you looking to have this be portable? Are you going to be taking the tube to different bodies of water to test things, or is it going to be built into one location?

ElectroSurf3r said:
For brushless motors, you want HIGH wind-count to get maximum efficiency at LOW rpms.

Thank you for your reply. I´m looking for this with no luck at all :( :(

Shaft seals and waterproof, etc are solved

Happy new year

Jay64 said:
Are you looking to have this be portable? Are you going to be taking the tube to different bodies of water to test things, or is it going to be built into one location?

Yes It will be portable. That´s the reason why I need a DC motor. I will not have access to AC source in every place.

For my future sun-electric catamaran with 600 watts and 400 rpm prop I've chosen 170kv BLDC and a planetary gear 1:10.
My voltage is 24v and I've failed to find BLDC with 17-20 kv (kv is a rpm per volt). I can't find a way to get good efficiency at low RPM without gear :(

Vasily said:
For my future sun-electric catamaran with 600 watts and 400 rpm prop I've chosen 170kv BLDC and a planetary gear 1:10.
My voltage is 24v and I've failed to find BLDC with 17-20 kv (kv is a rpm per volt). I can't find a way to get good efficiency at low RPM without gear :(

I assume you have considered ( and rejected ?) using a modified wheel hub motor ?

Back