An idea about surfboards and big waves (or small waves)

MikeFairbanks

100 kW
A conundrum:

Longer, wider surfboards are easier to paddle, paddle faster, and catch waves easier and often long before the wave becomes steep.

Shorter boards turn better and fit steeper waves better, allowing for more high-performance surfing. But they are inefficient to paddle and catching waves before they become steep is very difficult.

Longer boards are great for smaller waves and bigger waves.

Shorter boards are good for medium to medium-large waves but require a lot more skill to paddle and catch waves.

Shorter waves are easier to handle when paddling out to sea, as they have the ability to be pushed a few feet deep, thus, ducking under the oncoming waves (this is called duck diving).

Both are a lot of fun and each is an important part of any surfer's enjoyment of the ocean. In other words, neither is better. They simply serve a different purpose in the wave-riding experience.

However, the problem is large waves. Large waves are not only taller, but are thicker and cover more area from the front of the wave to the back of the wave. They also travel much faster than smaller waves, and this is where the problem lies.

A surfer needs a longer, wider board to simply catch a large wave, due to the speed involved. Simply put, a six-foot surfboard doesn't catch a ten-foot wave as easily or as early as a longer board. By catching a big wave with a longer board, it enables the surfer to get to his feet and plot a course a few seconds earlier than on a shortboard. Therefore, the wave has not reached a critical steepness.

Once the surfer catches the large wave on the longer board, and is trimming properly (riding at a stable angle) he wishes for the maneurverability of a shorter board in order to better increase speed (through a pumping action of the body, similar to using your kinetic energy to increase your movement on a swing). The shorter board also turns better, causing a more radical ride, including the ability to fit inside the breaking section of the wave known as the barrel, tube, greenroom, etc.

One way to combat this conundrum is to get someone on a personal watercraft to pull you (like a waterskier), which helps you to reach or surpass the speed of the wave. This enables the surfer to spend a good ten seconds choosing where to position himself on the wave, rather than catching it as the wave is at its steepest, most critical point.

So I had a mental idea: What if a device could be placed into the shorter board that would temporarily propel it to a greater speed than it could be paddled. I'm not talking about electric, gas, or anything other than human power. Weight is absolutely critical. The average shortboard is about 5-10 pounds, depending on length, thickness of the resin and fiberglass, density of the foam core (the blank), etc. So adding even ten pounds would turn off most surfers. Plus there are motorized surfboards out there, but they are clunky beasts that few are going to want to ride (and the cost is too much).

Also keep in mind that for many surfers, catching the wave in the latter stages (ie. when it's about to pitch) is half the fun. They call it the drop. If you stand too late, you won't make the drop, and the wave will punish you. If you make the drop, you get an extra rush and the immediate challenge of turning at the bottom, keeping your speed, and then pumping as fast as you can down the line to create the perfect speed.

However, what about the surfer who wants to ride a shorter board, but catch the wave earlier (thus, avoiding some of the risk of a late takeoff)?

My idea: A strong, plastic circular device in the board that a surfer can wind by hand. He then paddles for a wave a little earlier than he normally would, and as he reaches maximum paddling power he punches a button with his toe and the device he wound up (I suppose it could compress air or wind up a spring that pushes some kind of jet) would release a two to three second burst of water (like a jet), doubling the speed the surfer can paddle on his own (thus, giving him the paddling power of a ten-foot board, even though his board might only be six to seven feet long and narrower, thinner, etc.).

Any ideas?

I actually don't want to build it, invent it, sell it, etc.

I just want to use it. :)

MikeFairbanks said:
A conundrum:

Longer, wider surfboards are easier to paddle, paddle faster, and catch waves easier and often long before the wave becomes steep.

Shorter boards turn better and fit steeper waves better, allowing for more high-performance surfing. But they are inefficient to paddle and catching waves before they become steep is very difficult.

Longer boards are great for smaller waves and bigger waves.

Shorter boards are good for medium to medium-large waves but require a lot more skill to paddle and catch waves.

Shorter waves are easier to handle when paddling out to sea, as they have the ability to be pushed a few feet deep, thus, ducking under the oncoming waves (this is called duck diving).

Both are a lot of fun and each is an important part of any surfer's enjoyment of the ocean. In other words, neither is better. They simply serve a different purpose in the wave-riding experience.

However, the problem is large waves. Large waves are not only taller, but are thicker and cover more area from the front of the wave to the back of the wave. They also travel much faster than smaller waves, and this is where the problem lies.

A surfer needs a longer, wider board to simply catch a large wave, due to the speed involved. Simply put, a six-foot surfboard doesn't catch a ten-foot wave as easily or as early as a longer board. By catching a big wave with a longer board, it enables the surfer to get to his feet and plot a course a few seconds earlier than on a shortboard. Therefore, the wave has not reached a critical steepness.

Once the surfer catches the large wave on the longer board, and is trimming properly (riding at a stable angle) he wishes for the maneurverability of a shorter board in order to better increase speed (through a pumping action of the body, similar to using your kinetic energy to increase your movement on a swing). The shorter board also turns better, causing a more radical ride, including the ability to fit inside the breaking section of the wave known as the barrel, tube, greenroom, etc.

One way to combat this conundrum is to get someone on a personal watercraft to pull you (like a waterskier), which helps you to reach or surpass the speed of the wave. This enables the surfer to spend a good ten seconds choosing where to position himself on the wave, rather than catching it as the wave is at its steepest, most critical point.

So I had a mental idea: What if a device could be placed into the shorter board that would temporarily propel it to a greater speed than it could be paddled. I'm not talking about electric, gas, or anything other than human power. Weight is absolutely critical. The average shortboard is about 5-10 pounds, depending on length, thickness of the resin and fiberglass, density of the foam core (the blank), etc. So adding even ten pounds would turn off most surfers. Plus there are motorized surfboards out there, but they are clunky beasts that few are going to want to ride (and the cost is too much).

Also keep in mind that for many surfers, catching the wave in the latter stages (ie. when it's about to pitch) is half the fun. They call it the drop. If you stand too late, you won't make the drop, and the wave will punish you. If you make the drop, you get an extra rush and the immediate challenge of turning at the bottom, keeping your speed, and then pumping as fast as you can down the line to create the perfect speed.

However, what about the surfer who wants to ride a shorter board, but catch the wave earlier (thus, avoiding some of the risk of a late takeoff)?

My idea: A strong, plastic circular device in the board that a surfer can wind by hand. He then paddles for a wave a little earlier than he normally would, and as he reaches maximum paddling power he punches a button with his toe and the device he wound up (I suppose it could compress air or wind up a spring that pushes some kind of jet) would release a two to three second burst of water (like a jet), doubling the speed the surfer can paddle on his own (thus, giving him the paddling power of a ten-foot board, even though his board might only be six to seven feet long and narrower, thinner, etc.).

Any ideas?

I actually don't want to build it, invent it, sell it, etc.

I just want to use it. :)

Would be cool to have something for helping long boards get out in medium to larger waves. They are fun to ride, but paddling out in larger surf with a longboard is not fun.

John in CR said:
It's already been done. Google Wavejet.

Yes, I've seen that device (including video), and they are really onto something.

It won't work for what I have in mind: shortboard that retains the approximate weight of a shortboard while increasing thrust.

The device (wavejet) is excellent for much larger boards.

I do think, however, that the bodyboard looks promising, as you can ride a bodyboard and not worry as much about weight (if you are interested in barrels, angling, etc. High performance might not be that good.

Keep in mind that once you are riding the wave you will surpass the speed of the motor quickly. It's primary purpose is to get you into the wave.

WaveJet is 16 pounds. That's not bad for a twelve-foot paddleboard, or even a ten-foot longboard (kind of), but 16 pounds is almost three times the weight of a performance shortboard.

On the wavejet again:

The body board is $4300. That's way too much money for an e-boogieboard. I can see resorts buying them for their customers as play things, but why would an individual without disabilities buy one when he/she can have a high-end bodyboard with high performance swim fins for less than 10% of the cost (and go almost as fast)?

Wavejet: $4300

bodyboard-1_390_470.jpg

Maybe a wind up giant rubber band in the stringer like those toy airplanes we had as kids, or a high pressure tank and compressed air jet you could pump up on the beach, like letting go of an inflated balloon. Fast energy in a short burst without the board running away from you, hitting you on rebound, or or winding the leash around your neck. In the 80's someone made 2 stroke surfboards that worked but they were noisy, stinky, and left on oil slick behind thettp://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&p=592507#p592507m.h

Just wild to read this thread, because I have been building and dreaming about different types of powered surfboards for such a long time. I also envisioned exactly the really light board with rechargeable power, air- rubber band etc., to catch waves you describe so well. I have often dreamed a hollow board you could pump up for a very powerful short burst of power with absolute lightest weight possible. That will be fun indeed if we get that figured out. I have a few ideas for air powered water jets, so who knows what the future holds. I have also been dreaming about, and building, amphibious surfboard type electric vehicles, which has been great fun. I will try to attach a pic. Thanks for posting guys, we can dream!BEDDAA96-4AAF-4E25-ABE0-D3E0053CE1A4.jpeg

Back