Electric Surf Board

Matthias_S

10 mW
Hi,

I´m working on a electric surfboard similar the jet-surf board and made some progress whit my jet unit.
Motor: Turnigy 80-100 (rewound)
Controller: Kelly Controller

K800_IMG_20120716_150122.JPG
K800_IMAG0413.JPG
K800_IMAG0415.JPG
K800_IMAG0418.JPG

Looks interesting!

I'll be very interested to see what sort of performance and efficiency you get from this, and would love to know more about the impeller and duct design.

I'm seriously thinking about making a bow thruster for my small river boat, using a jet unit.

Here is the Test video

I´m working on the outlet because im not happy with the beam.I dont knwo how to get it tight and straight??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-n-O7-SCGU&feature=youtu.be

Boy o Boy ! That picture made me happy, that is really looking good, a 55 kv wound for the c80100 ?
I wonder how the rest of your setup and plan will look like and I hope the board will get to a high planing speed without heating issues :D

Please share as much info as you can !

I've seen how they use a bit of the water run off the impeller to cool the engine on a jetski. couldn't you do something like that to cool the motor and controller?

It is the C80-100 double wound whit 6 turns of 1,5mm copper wire

I wound it to 200rpm/v... I think so?!
K800_IMG_20120711_124859.JPG

hi gestalt,

I havent got any heat problems because the motor mount is cooled directly by the water :D

Hello

Cool idea you have :D , hope you get it to work.
To get most out of the system and produce a straight beam you will need a nozzle and a stator that redirect the water and keep a high pump pressure. I don't know the exact science behind it, but know that a system without will suffer greatly without it.

Hello Ratking,

my first test was whitout stator an des beam was really distracted.. then i testet it whit this stator:

K800_IMAG0411.JPG

but the result (in teh video) is not so good..

Hello

I won't try to discourage your idea, but I would have started with a Kawasaki 550 jet ski pump. They are cheap and one of the smallest pumps out there.
The i.c motor that powers the pump originally has 31hp but has fairly low torque. I would have started with a pump I knew was up to the task such as this and shaved of every gram of unnecessary aluminum. It could really launch your board away. I would also have looked into one main axle with two 80-100 motors after each other if you really wanted to be close to the performance of the kawasaki 550 jet.

If you want to stick with your design, I think you will have a long way to go before you will see high efficiency from it. You could learn heaps of interesting tech from it though :)

Attachments

• $(KGrHqR,!jgE+SePTeP(BQ!cH,DUcw~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!jgE+SePTeP(BQ!cH,DUcw~~60_57.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 65,972
  • $(KGrHqV,!ocE-)4URBPIBQ!cHMkiB!~~60_57.JPG
    $(KGrHqV,!ocE-)4URBPIBQ!cHMkiB!~~60_57.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 65,972
  • $T2eC16ZHJI!E9qSO9fbyBQ!cHgUjgQ~~60_57.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJI!E9qSO9fbyBQ!cHgUjgQ~~60_57.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 65,972
Cool project! I just helped a friend combine two dead Kawasaki jet skis into one working jet ski. I ended up pulling the jet pump off the bad motor ski and installing it onto the ski with a frozen pump. I was impressed with jet ski technology. Now a few weeks later I have been dreaming of a jet ski that is legal to launch from the beach in San Francisco were I live. The closet thing would probably only be an electric jet powered surf board.
Looking forward to seeing it come together.
Nice work so far keep at it and you will be on the water soon.

Hello,

maby I will use one of this jet pumps in the future but first I hope to get this thing running.I also worked on a prop driven surfboard but there was no way to get planning speed begause of the friction caused by the motor.. so I desided to build a jet pump

K800_IMAG0296.JPG

Ratking: Do you have detail photos from the nozzle?

I want to build one too!
I'm going to wait until you get one going to hear how it rides. Alternatively I could do a kayak, Anything you can launch from the beach in CA legally.
Would a prop just be too dangerous?

at Ratking:

I´m really interested in testing one off this kawasaki 550 jet pumps! Also I will get alot more trust than now because mine only needs 55A to run at full trottle..
But my problem is where to get one? In germany I couldnt find one and shipping from the usa costs about 80$ :(

I really hope you will get this project to work, if it will run fine I need copy/paste it so please share all the info with us :twisted:

Matthias_S said:
at Ratking:

I´m really interested in testing one off this kawasaki 550 jet pumps! Also I will get alot more trust than now because mine only needs 55A to run at full trottle..
But my problem is where to get one? In germany I couldnt find one and shipping from the usa costs about 80$ :(

Hello

I am afraid that you just have to accept the high shipping price. Ebay.com, pwctoday.com and x-h2o.com is some great sites to get a cheap pump. Ebay is maybe not the cheapest, but you got a bit of security with it.
I know there are a couple of guys that tried to make a stand up jet ski with electric motor, but without any success. High performance water jets require big power, one of the upsides is easy cooling of the motor, controller and that the controller have a very easy life.

Do you want to sink any money in to this project or is it a cheap try?
In any case, you will have to use an impeller with the right pitch according to motor power and your speed goal.
If you are lucky, there are some very good deals to do at some of the forums I linked to.
Good luck with your project, I really hope you make it

Back