We need an efoil thread... it's made an old lurker like me come over from the darkside (that skateboard forum) and join, hi from the UK BTW
The things I am researching so far....
Is a gearbox essential?
Will starting with a foamy then structuring wood as required, finally glassing the cojones out it be a viable option for a usable board?
Should I wait a year and see whats inside the lift and jetfoiler boards?
Will this rash go away on its own?
Will 12s be sufficient?
Who will copyright FESC?
Will I finish this Emountain board or move to the sea before I finish?
BTW @msk8 you are my hero, keep us informed when that motor arrives, thanks for your work and sharing, my printer is slaving away night and day ATM and soon I hope to be following your lead
I'll get an E-Foil thread created shortly.
- The need for a gearbox comes down to motor kV and what size prop/impeller you want to run. A slower kV motor and smaller prop (with kort nozzle) or jet system can run direct. A higher kV will need gearing so that you can make use of the power efficiently.
- The problem with a foamy is that it needs a solid core to attach the hydrofoil. An old windsurfer would be the cheapest option and they are readily available on ebay.
- If you really want to optimise the component list, then you can wait I guess. But whats the fun in waiting...
- Rash? don't stick things where they shouldn't be
- 12s will be enough.
- FESC...wonder what else would be needed that a boat ESC doesn't offer.
- Move to the sea before anything else! The sea is the best place!