amphibious electric bike idea

whatever

100 kW
just toying around with an idea for modifying a standard electric bike so that it can also be used on water.
Idea is this: ebike has solar roof ( rectangular ) it stays rigid and doesn't move about riders head, two lightweight outriggers hinge so that they
fold up above riders head when not being used ( they sit next to side of solar panels).
When crossing water outriggers fold down and keep bike above water.
Since hub motors dont like water especially salt water, i'm trying to think of ways to use the hub motor power to propel the outriggers, only thing I've come up
with is using the disc brake mount with a sprocket to drive a small sprocket, the smaller sprocket axle can be used to power propellers on rear of outriggers.
Anyone come across anything like this before? or have any crazy ideas on how to do it?

I'm not sure I'd like to ride it in windy conditions. ;)

Rather than try to transfer power around, why not just put paddles on the wheels, using a concept that installs something like "tire chains" for cars on ice?

There are a couple of water-capable bicycles around, as DIY projects. I think one of them was either a Yuba Mundo or an Xtracycle conversion, though I don't recall much else about it now. I am sure it had at least one thread on ES a year or two ago.

The vehicle will be used on salt water lake, paddle wheel style will drench the motor in salt water, I rode an ebike on a beach once,
within about 2 months internal corrosion of the hub seized it.
Wind will be an issue, I did a search after posting this thread and found there are quite a variety of amphibious bicycle designs.
I want to avoid roller drive via back wheel, as the rubber wears out fairly rapidly, I think it will be very difficult to build something like this,
that is still useable as an ebike out of the water, but I think worth pursuing it.

how about using a few RC motors with (air-) propellors ? works both on and off land.
Like one of those flat bottom things they have in the everglades, but on a bicycle basis ?

[youtube]xzx08w67Q88[/youtube]

Back