Electric hovercraft

I'm dreaming of hybrid hovercraft.
It would use small diesel (vw lupo 1.2 etc) that powers radial fan and generator.
On the top, there's two big RC brushless motors with propellers. Both motors would be separately throttled and also would rotate 360 degrees.
Also, there would be battery pack for sudden acceleration and short periods of greater speed
Ideally it would be closed like small car with comfortable cabin. Car seats, dashboard etc.

I would have killed for a hover sled as a kid. The rubber material used on the skirt looks like it would not last long on gravel or rough paved surfaces, anyone know what that is? PVC maybe with a thin Polyethylene patch between the road?

Hi all, i've been doing RC hovercraft for a while and pretty soon i'm going to start building a pedal-electric powered hovercraft. So far all my hovercraft have been non-person carrying models, but over the course of several many generations of evolving the plenum, hull, and skirt design i know what i need to do to build one.

Here's one of my models of a skirted craft, i plan to start building something like this that will roll on retractable trike wheels inside the skirt, and when the skirt is inflated by pedal power, retracted flush with the lower hull deck. I'm thinking one of the bigger Astroflight brushless outrunners with a 24" prop can provide thrust while the rider pedals at cadence to provide the lift.

https://youtu.be/7-oTpiiwjVA?list=PLGbZTlKSG1v9yLH3yBXPXX6cCy8zQNdTt

If i get to the hardware store this week i'll probably pick up the stuff i need to build a metal frame supporting a wood-foam sandwich double hull.

Back